35-THIRTY FIVE🖤

ASMAU

"Umma, I'm heading out," I announced to my stepmother, when I came into her room.

"Alright then. I'll also be going to the hospital soon," she replied.

"Okay." As I turned to leave, she called me back, gesturing for me to sit down.

"Asmau, when are you planning on returning to your husband's house?" She inquired.

Why did she have to ask this now?

"Soon. I just want Auntie to wake up first," I replied, hoping she wouldn't pry further.

"It doesn't matter whether you are here or there when your mother wakes up, Asmau. You'll still see her. So, I see no reason for you to leave your husband and come stay here. Kids of nowadays take marriage as a joke. Kinmanta Aljarnanki tana tafin kafansa neh?" She asked, firmly and I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, it's just that—" I began, but she cut me off.

"Just stand up and go. A dawo lafiya," I  muttered an "Ameen," and left the room.

Outside, a drizzling rain greeted my face, and the weather looked really dreary. I hurried to my car and drove away.

"Mummy!!" Noorie exclaimed, her excitement evident as she sprinted toward me, enveloping me in a tight hug.

"I missed you," she whispered into my ear.

"I missed you too, my baby," I replied, kissing her cheeks.

"Where's everyone? Feeya and the rest?" I inquired after we settled on the couch.

"Ya Feeyah is in the kitchen with the twins, making a mess. Ya Ansar is upstairs, occupied with who knows what, and Daddy is out," I smiled, gazing at Noorie with affection.

"Alright, let's go check up on them," I suggested, and she nodded as we made our way to the kitchen.

Standing by the kitchen door, I observed Feeyah baking, her back to us, engrossed in her task. Meanwhile, Afeen and Afeena seemed to be engaged in a flour war. A warm smile played on my lips.

"Mummyyy," Afeena called softly, noticing my presence. She grinned, revealing her four front teeth.

"Afeena, mama isn't here yet, but she'll be here soon," Feeyah assured her, still engrossed in her baking.

"Are you sure, Ya Feeyah?" Noorie chimed in, her face beaming.

Feeyah was about to respond, but her words caught in her throat when she saw me. Her eyes widened, and a grin spread across her face.

"Mummy!" she exclaimed, rushing over and wrapping me in a warm hug.

"I missed you, Ya Feeyah," I whispered, returning her embrace.

"I missed you more, Mummy. When did you arrive? I didn't even notice," she said, ecstatically.

"Not long ago. I didn't want to interrupt your baking session," I replied, gesturing to the twins, who were still immersed in their flour adventure.

"Afeen and Afeena! Stop!" Feeyah scolded them, but they simply pouted their lips.

"Alright, let's stand up and get you changed," I said, attempting to take their hands, but they resisted, preferring to stay put.

"Come on, twins, let's get changed," I urged, but they shook their heads, adamant about continuing their mischief.

"Mum, don't worry; I've got this," Ansar declared as he entered the kitchen. He swiftly lifted Afeen and Afeena, placing them on his shoulders as they giggled and squirmed.