43-FORTY THREE🖤

ASMAU

If you are currently reading this letter, it means that I have already gone far away, to ponder about our marriage, my life, our arguments and clashes, Iman, and a lot of other things. True love alone can't sustain a marriage, Abubakar. We need trust and communication, especially trust, and that's where we've fallen short. Please don't think I'm leaving because I don't love you or our family. Leaving isn't easy; I'm leaving behind a part of my life, my children, my family, and you. It's a painful decision, but it's important for both of us to have time to reflect on everything. Sometimes, I question whether you truly love me because of the way you make me feel so please understand me and respect my decision. Take good care of yourself and our children. I'm leaving with the hope that you'll recognize my value in your life, and the depth of my love for you. Please don't try to find me because you won't be able too. If we're meant to be we will get back together one day. Goodbye for now.

After I finished writing the letter, a single tear slid down my cheek. I folded it carefully and placed it on top of my bed. Then, I pulled my trolley downstairs. Luckily, the kids had gone to visit Mami, so they wouldn't see me. Leaving them was the hardest part. I wished there was a way we could go together, but it seemed impossible. I could take Afeen and Afeena, but for Safeeya, Ansar, and Noorie, it was more complicated because I wasn't their biological mother. I didn't want Iman to accuse me of kidnapping her children.

"Who's there!?" Safeeya's voice echoed from upstairs. I quickly hid behind the wall, hoping she wouldn't spot me.

But after a moment of silence, I realized she had moved away. I seized the opportunity and rushed to the door.

Goodbye, my home.

Goodbye, my kids.

Goodbye,

my love.

ABUBAKAR

"I can't do this anymore; I'm going to go apologize," I said, rising from the couch. After our argument with Asmau yesterday, I came over to Najib's house to clear my head.

"I honestly don't understand the both of you. Do you guys always have problems?" he asked.

"Our problems got worse after Asmau had a miscarriage. She said it's Iman's fault."

"Do you believe her or not?"

"Najib, I honestly don't know what to believe right now. I'm so confused."

"Then investigate it or something, guy."

"You know what Najib? I wish Iman never even came back. I wish she never came back for the kids or for anything. She just caused a lot of troubles for Asmau and me. It's so frustrating," I groaned.

"You want to mend your relationship with Asmau, don't you?" he asked.

"Of course, I do, Najib. What kind of question is that?"

"Then take time off from work and go on a vacation with your wife, make her feel special at least, or just leave Nigeria with your family and never come back so Iman won't find you," he chuckled, and I sent him a glare.

"You are crazy, Najib. Though I like your first idea. I won't let Iman or anybody get in between us again. I really love Asmau, and I hate the fact that I act irrational sometimes and we fight. So from today onwards, I'll do everything in my power to mend our relationship and make her happy. She deserves it because she's an amazing woman. I shouldn't be causing her pain, especially now that she's going through a lot of problems."

"I'm glad you understand, bro."

"I will get going; see you later," I shook hands with him and strolled out of his apartment.