37-THIRTY SEVEN💜

ASMAU

"Ibty, give it to me!!!" I exclaimed, playfully attempting to snatch the ice-cream from her clutches.

Abubakar had bought me ten tubes of Coldstone Ice-cream, and I had been eagerly digging into one of them. Instead of Ibty retrieving her own from the fridge, she was attempting to finish off mine.

"I will report you to Abubakar," I warned, playfully.

"Nima, I will report you to Tj," she retorted with a mischievous grin.

"You know what? Just finish the ice-cream; I'll go get another one," I relented, chuckling. I stood up from the bed and headed towards the door. Just then, it swung open, revealing Amir.

"Excuse me, Ya Mau, Ya Mukhtar is looking for you in Babaji's parlour," he announced.

"He's looking for me?" I asked with widened eyes.

"Yeah," he nodded before making his exit.

"What do you think happened?" Ibty asked.

"I don't know, but I'll go find out," I replied, quickly donning my hijab. I made my way downstairs to Babaji's parlour.

Upon entering, I said my salam and greeted each family member. There were Ya Mukhtar, Ya Jameel, Ya Hadeeza, Ya Hanne, Umma, and Babaji.

"Asmau, how are you?" Ya Jameel asked.

"I'm fine, Alhamdulillah," I replied, keeping my head respectfully bowed.

Ya Mukhtar cleared his throat, signaling he was about to speak. "So, Asmau, we've called you here to understand why you left Abubakar's house," he said, and my heart began racing.

"It's because--" I started, but he interrupted.

"Don't give me the excuse of Aunty being in the hospital because I won't accept it. I don't want to ask twice, Asmau. Now, why did you leave your husband's house?" He pressed, glaring at me.

"B-b-because we had a misunderstanding," I stammered.

"What kind of misunderstanding?" He demanded, and I struggled to find my voice.

"I asked you, what misunderstanding?!" He raised his voice, causing me to flinch.

"Yaya, please take it easy on her; she's pregnant," Ya Hanne interjected, holding my hand.

"I don't like this at all, Hanne. Just because of a little misunderstanding!??? This is foolish. Now tell us what happened?" Ya Mukhtar insisted.

How could I explain that I had witnessed my own husband kissing his ex-wife? Ya Allah, someone, please rescue me!

"Girls of nowadays take marriage as a joke. In our time, there was nothing like leaving your husband's house because of a misunderstanding. You would stay and solve your problems. Even if you attempted to leave your husband's house and go to your father's, you'd be sent back because your parents would never allow it. But now, you kids treat marriage as a joke. Danma, kinsamu miji mai hakuri ko? Keh wai gaki kinyi fishi ko? Yaran zamani sai adu'a," Umma lamented, shaking her head.

"Get ready, Asmau; you're going back to your husband's house, and I don't want to hear anything about it. Or else, wallahi, you won't like what will happen," Ya Mukhtar warned, pointing a finger at me.

"I'm sorry, Yaya, but..."

Suddenly, the sound of Ya Jameel's phone rang out, interrupting me. "I'm sorry," he muttered before answering the call. "What!!!" He exclaimed, and my heart skipped a beat. "Okay, we're coming to the hospital," he said before hanging up.