EPILOGUE🥺

Four years later...

ASMAU

"Mummy, I want to wear my princess gown," Afeena whined for the umpteenth time while stomping her feet on the floor.

I sighed and walked over to the mirror to put on my necklace. "Afeena, please, and please stop disturbing me. This isn't a birthday party; it's a wedding, for goodness' sake! It's your Aunt's wedding, which is why you're wearing your anko, just like your sisters."

"But Daddy said you should wear my princess gown for me," the six-year-old said with a pouted lip.

I ignored her complaints and draped my veil around me, concealing my prominent baby bump. I couldn't wait to give birth. Eight months and some weeks into this pregnancy, it felt more challenging than the last one. Ya Aminah suggested it might be because it could be a boy.

"Assalamu'alaikum! Mummy, we're ready," Noorie announced, striding into the room, with Safeeya and a three-year-old Iman following closely.

When I became pregnant after Iman's death, Abubakar and I decided to name our baby girl Maryam and fondly call her Iman.

"Mummy, how do I look?" Iman inquired after breaking away from her sister and marching up to me, hands on her hips.

"My Ummi, you look beautiful, baby," I replied with a loving smile. I usually referred to her as Ummita because she shared her name with my mother, Maryam.

"Mummy, we're running late, and the driver is outside waiting for us," Safeeya reported, slipping her phone into her clutch.

Iman's death really took a toll on Safeeya. At that time, she stopped being the fun and bubbly Safeeya. She was always isolated in her room and unenthusiastic. We tried so hard to bring the cheerful Safeeya back; it got to a point where it started affecting her studies. Abubakar got really furious yet scared. I can remember how he scolded her so angrily in the sitting room, and how she was sobbing, but I managed to calm all of them down. I had a much-needed conversation with her, and Alhamdulillah, she was back on her feet. Besides, her Ammi wouldn't have wanted her like that, and from that day henceforth, she promised to change for the better and study harder.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I'm happy to announce that Safeeya is now studying medicine in Saudi Arabia and is currently in her third year. She's really serious about becoming a doctor, and I can see how hard she's studying for that.

"Safeeya, I'm done getting ready. But I need to take some pills first; I'm having a migraine," I stated.

"Afeena, why are you crying?" Noorie asked her sister, walking over to the bed.

"Leave me alone, Ya Noorie," she said, glaring at Noorie.

"Afeena, are you okay!? Is she your mate?" Safeeya scolded.

"Afeena, when will you stop this habit of yours?" I snapped, my patience wearing thin.

She stared back at me with tears welling up in her eyes. "I will report all of you to Daddy, and I will tell him you don't want to give me my princess gown to wear."

Yes, that's Afeena for you; she's a Daddy's girl. Anyone who crosses her in the house, she goes straight to Abubakar and reports them.

"Allah ya baki sa'a, and you better go to Ya Safeeya so she can re-tie your headtie for you, or else we'll leave without you."

"I don't want to!" she stubbornly declared.

I sighed; dealing with this girl could be a challenge.

"Afeena, you wouldn't want to see my stern side today, kinsan halina," Safeeya warned.