53-FIFTY THREE🧡

ASMAU

As soon as I settled into the car and closed the door, I turned to face Abubakar, only to find his eyes fixed on me, his mouth slightly agape.

"What?" I whispered, feeling a bit self-conscious.

"You look breathtaking, really gorgeous," he complemented, his eyes still locked onto mine.

I blushed, "Thank you. Nanny Fatima gave me the makeup kit you bought for me but refused to give me."

He chuckled, "Sorry, I forgot about that. But seriously, you look so beautiful tonight. Tabarakallah, Ma shaa Allah."

I smiled shyly, and he turned on the ignition. We hit the road, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement and relief about being out again.

After a brief moment of awkward silence, we finally arrived at our destination. I couldn't believe it when I saw that he had brought me to a beachside setting. The sight before me was breathtakingly beautiful. The decorations were out of this world, making me feel like I could walk right into the water. Two beautiful silver seats were set up with a middle table, all decorated elegantly with a glass candle holder, flowers, and beautifully arranged eating utensils.

"Do you like it?" Abubakar asked, standing behind me.

I shrugged casually, as if not interested, but deep down, I was in awe. "It's okay."

"Just okay?" he replied incredulously. "I expected something like 'it's beautiful,' 'elegant,' 'breathtaking,' any compliment at all, but you say it's just okay? Really?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"Okay, we're leaving," he said, turning to head back to the car.

"No!" I exclaimed.

He turned back to face me, raising an eyebrow. "What?"

"We shouldn't leave, please. It's beautiful," I admitted, a smile tugging at my lips.

He smirked and stretched out his hand for me. I ignored his hand and confidently moved forward to the table.

"I don't need your help," I whispered.

"You're stubborn, you know."

"Yes, because you made me stubborn," I rolled my eyes as he came over and pulled out the silver chair for me. "Thanks," I murmured and took my seat.

First, he served me some wine in a glass before serving himself and passing it to me. "Are you hungry?" He asked but didn't wait for my reply. "Don't answer that, please. It's such a stupid question."

He took out his phone and typed something. Immediately, two waiters walked up to us with chafing dishes in their hands.

I almost asked where they came from but decided against it. They served us mouthwatering dishes that were so delicious I couldn't resist taking more than what they served.

We continued eating in silence, with only the clinking of cutlery breaking the quiet.

"This is weird," I heard him say.

I looked up at him, my expression full of questions. "What?" I asked.

"Us," he replied. "You and me, you being angry with me. Can't you find it in your heart to forgive?" He asked.

I dropped the knife and fork I was holding and gazed up at him. "This is all your fault," I said with a heavy sigh.

He let out a deep breath. "I know, and that's why I'm doing everything for you to forgive me."

"And? If I forgive you, then what? We'll go back to how things were before, and you'll keep hurting me because of Iman?"

"Asmau, you know I don't hurt you intentionally, right? Look, what I want you to understand is that Iman was my ex-wife, and whether I like it or not, she'll still be part of our lives because we have kids together."