33-THIRTY THREE🧡

Next day
ASMAU

It was already morning, and I had just finished getting ready to go to the hospital. Rukkaya and Summaya had stayed overnight at the hospital, while I returned home. I hadn't been feeling well for the past two days, and the argument with Abubakar had only made things worse.

Abubakar hadn't come back to the hospital, nor had he called or messaged me. Not that I was expecting it, but at least he should show that he really regrets what he did.

His mother and Maryam had visited the hospital yesterday to check on Aunty. Ibteesam was coming to Abuja today, so we planned to pick her up at the airport. She was extremely worried about my mother's health.

I entered the kitchen to inform Indo that I was heading to the hospital. "Indo, I will take—" Suddenly, I felt dizzy and had to grab the door for support.

"Asmau, are you okay?" she asked, quickly pouring a glass of water and handing it to me.

"I just felt a bit dizzy, but I'm alright," I assured her as I sat down.

"Are you sure?" she inquired with concern.

"I will get going now," I said as I stood up.

"Are you sure you can drive? I can call the driver to take you there," she offered.

"No, chill, Indo. I'll be fine," I replied before leaving the kitchen. I grabbed my bag, went outside, and got into the car.

IMAN

"Abubakar hates me, Salma! He doesn't want anything to do with me. He doesn't talk to me, he doesn't look at me. He hates me with all his guts; he hates the sight of me," I sighed, feeling the situation weighing on me.

"And do you blame him? You literally ruined his marriage. My sister now lives with us for the meantime, but he visits her almost every day in the hospital. It's so frustrating," Salma replied, rolling her eyes.

"Please, stop telling me all this; you're adding to my pain," I fanned myself exaggeratedly.

"That's not even part of my problems right now," Salma hissed.

"What happened?" I asked, taking a seat beside her.

"I did something terrible. I pushed my stepmother, Asmau's mom, down the stairs, and now she's in the hospital in a coma," she confessed, and I gasped in shock.

"But why would you do that? That wasn't the plan," I questioned.

"I had no choice, Iman! She overheard the conversation between you and me about all the things we've been plotting. When I tried to beg her not to say anything, she refused, so I pushed her by mistake."

"Oh my God! You're going to get in so much trouble when she wakes up," I warned.

"Excuse me? You mean we will get in so much trouble, not only me. Remember this, Iman, if I go down, I'm going down with you," She threatened.

"Okay, whatever. You don't have to threaten me. I'm going to the hospital; I need a checkup," I declared, picking up my bag.

"What happened?" Salma inquired.

"I don't know. All I know is that I'm not feeling well," I replied.

"Hmmm, sorry," she offered her sympathy.

"Thanks. I'll be back later," I said, heading to the door. Then, I paused and turned around. "I hope she doesn't wake up," I whispered a prayer, and Salma muttered an "Ameen."

Asmau

I arrived at the hospital, walked inside, and spotted Doctor Munnir engrossed in conversation with a nurse. He looked up and smiled as he noticed me.