1-ONE🖤

It's been exactly two weeks since I agreed to marry my sister's ex-fiancé, Abubakar. Seeing Babaji's happiness because of my decision was truly rewarding. Making your parents smile is an the best feeling. Ya Aisha has already moved to her new home in Kano. The whole family was emotional during her departure. I will surely miss my dear sister.

A day after I consented to marrying Abubakar, I realized I couldn't keep avoiding Abdul, so I decided to call him and explain everything. I had been ignoring his calls and messages, which wasn't fair. Here's how the conversation went, and it still breaks my heart:

"You've been avoiding me for days. I got worried because I texted and called you, but no response. Asmau, did I do something wrong?" He inquired in his usual calm tone. I felt like a terrible person.

"Wallahi, you didn't. I've just been occupied."

"No, Asmau, that's not true. Whatever you're busy with, you usually find time for me, but not now. Something is definitely amiss."

I bit my lip, shaking my head. "It's nothing," I lied.

"Asmau, if you don't tell me what's really going on now and I discover it myself, just know I won't forgive you."

I gasped. "Abdul, please," I whispered, tears gathering in my eyes.

"Asmau, just tell me, please," he implored.

"Abdul, promise me you'll forgive me when I do tell you," I mumbled.

"Stop beating around the bush, please."

"An mun miji," I dropped the bombshell.

"What?" He sounded utterly perplexed.

"I'm getting married, Abdul."

"You must be joking," he shook his head in disbelief.

"I'm not, Abdul. Babaji has chosen a husband for me."

He took a deep breath, presumably to calm himself, before speaking. "Who is he?"

"Ya Salma's ex-fiancé."

"What?" His confusion was palpable.

"It's a long story, but the wedding is next month."

"Why didn't you tell me?" his tone held a mix of hurt and bewilderment.

"I lacked the courage."

"Can't you talk to Babaji about this?" he suggested.

"No," I whispered.

He let out a bitter laugh. "Okay, Asmau, goodbye. I wish you all the best in life." And with that, he hung up.

After that, I sent him a text message to explain and apologize for everything. My message read:

"Asmau: It's okay. Maybe one day, you'll understand the position I'm in. Perhaps some things are just not meant to be. If it's Allah's will that you're meant to be my husband, then nothing can alter that destiny. You have to understand. Either way, thank you for showing me how to love and what true love means. I wish you all the best in life. Goodbye, Abdul."

Message sent.

End of flashback.

My heart shattered into a million pieces, and tears became my companion that night. I loved him deeply, but I had to let him go. I will soon be someone else's wife.

I just pray that this marriage brings nothing but goodness, and I sincerely hope it's the right path for me.

KAYAN LEFE{Boxes}