26-TWENTY SIX💚

ASMAU

"You are welcome, my darlings," my mother-in-law greeted us as we entered the living room.

"Thank you, Mami," I smiled.

"Where's Abubakar?" She asked about her son, while taking Afeena from my arms. Meanwhile, the kids rushed to hug their grandma.

"He's parking the car but he will come in soon," I replied.

I sat down on the carpet, exchanging pleasantries with her, "Mami, ina wuni?; good afternoon."

"Lafia kalau, Asmau. How are you? And the kids?" She asked, struggling to keep Afeena in her arms as she tried to get down on the carpet to meet me.

"Alhamdulillah," I replied with a warm smile. Soon enough, Abubakar joined us, and they exchanged pleasantries too.

"Asmau, is this how these children are naughty at home?" She asked, taking Afeena from the TV stand and retrieving her phone from Afeen, who was trying to place it into his mouth.

"Yes, Mami, especially since they can stand on their own now," I chuckled, and Afeen started crying.

"Shushh, come on, babana," Mami cooed, playing with him. She then passed him to me, and I cradled him in my arms, soothing his cries.

"Abubakar, don't you converse with your own mother? All you keep on doing is playing with your phone," Mami teased him.

"I'm sorry, Mami, I'm just doing something," he replied, sheepishly.

"Your wife too wants to do something, for sure, but she's taking her time and conversing with your mother. Meanwhile, you keep on playing with your phone," she said, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I'm sorry, my dear mother. So, what are we talking about?" Abubakar asked, finally putting his phone aside.

She shook her head playfully. "Shame on you. Hope you will attend Imran's wedding?" She asked.

"Yess, In shaa Allah," he replied.

"Okay, then go with your family."

"Mami, I'm not planning on going there with them because I don't want to spend more than 3 days over there," he explained.

"Come on, Abubakar. When was the last time you visited Maiduguri? I think it's been since Safeeya was 3 years old, and they've never even met Asmau. Except for those who came for your wedding. You need to take your wife and kids and visit your relatives so Asmau can get to know them."

"Can I just go with Asmau, and the kids can stay with you?" Abubakar proposed.

"Noooo, Daddy, we want to go too," Ansar exclaimed.

"Yess, Daddy, we want to go," Feeyah chimed in.

"Abubakar, have you forgotten that I'm also going there? So you will have to go with the kids, gaskia," Mami insisted.

He sighed, defeated. "Ya Allah, Alright then."

"Yeyyyyyyy! We are going to Maid!" the kids cheered, already excited.

Even though the twins didn't fully understand what was happening, they joined in the happiness, their little hands raised in the air, making us all laugh. When it was time for Asr prayer, we prayed and then headed back home.

****

Today was the day we would be flying to Maiduguri. I got the twins dressed and prepared myself as well. Our luggage was already loaded in the car, and we all got inside, ready to head to the airport.

Now, we were at the airport lounge. All the necessary check-ups had been completed, and we were patiently waiting for our flight, scheduled to depart at 3 pm.