OVA 1 The Arrival of Lev!

An OVA before Episode 2.1!

(It's actually more about Karasuno than Nekoma...)

Also, I'm guessing this takes place around episode 2.3 Townsperson B, so you can skip ahead and come back to this after, if you want!

***

"Ahh, not again!" a wing spiker groaned.

"Tanaka-san, what are you doing?"
Hinata approached his senpai with Kageyama and Asahi, food in hand. Ukai had sold them hot, fluffy pork buns, and the schoolboys were lingering outside the storefront.

It was nearing sunset, and the sky was soaked in an orange glow. The team had stopped by Sakanoshita for a bite to eat after practice that day. Ai had finished another shift of volunteering, but she stayed to work overtime since they were all gathered there.

"Huh? A game I borrowed from my sis." He pressed the reset button and tried to beat the dragon again.

"Oh, the one that's popular nowadays," Asahi awed.

The captain and vice-captain stood side by side, watching him play.
"Tanaka..., don't play games so openly when school staff are around," Daichi told the boy while Sugawara laughed hopelessly beside him.

"Huh?" Ukai heaved a crate of beer bottles up and stood. "I don't care once practice is over." He left the high schoolers to their fun and called out to Ai inside the store. "Hey, wanna help me check inventory?"

"Already done, Ukai-san. May I help you with the accounting?"

"Err... Sure..." He was surprised by how well she performed every task he gave her, and still had room for more. Her time at the store was proving to be lucrative and very productive, a major benefit on his part.

Hinata crouched down next to Tanaka on the curb outside. "This is the one Kenma was talking about."

"No matter how many times I try, I get beat by this monster," Tanaka complained.

Hinata took a bite out of his meat bun as Nishinoya stepped up to them.

"Ryu!" He confidently pointed a thumb at himself. "I'll get your revenge!"

Unfortunately, it didn't go well, and Nishinoya blanked out at the sight of total defeat.

"He received all of the attacks perfectly...," Tanaka observed, with the third-year ace and the two first-years hovering over to look at the console screen. The genius setter had come over to see what they were up to.

"That's pretty amazing in a way...," Hinata added.

"What you'd expect from a genius libero," Asahi commented.

Kageyama placed a hand on his hip. "The point is to slash and defeat the monster before it attacks you, right?"

"Ha! Easier said than done!" Tanaka retorted.

The setter grinned at the challenge, but alas, things didn't go as planned either. He got more and more irritated at the game with each try.

"Bastard! Don't get too cocky!!!" he screamed at the fictional enemy.

"Hey! I told you I'm only borrowing that!!!" Tanaka yelled, afraid of what his sister might do to him if the device broke under his watch.

Game Over, said the screen as the monster roared. The samurai avatar laid on his stomach while Nishinoya and Kageyama looked just as defeated.

"It's the same as with volleyball..." Sugawara laughed bitterly.

The sliding door opened, and Ai stepped out.
"Hello, everyone. Ice cream after another day of hard work?" She smiled teasingly and held out a tray of popsicles.