2.14 Growing Fast (part two)

A bit of follow-up for the previous chapter...

***

Akashi reluctantly let her go after about an hour of cuddling so she could finish packing.

Kuroo also called Ai that night before she left, mumbling an excuse for not being able to see her off at the station the next morning. However, to make up for it, he said that he would "persistently request" Coach Nekomata for another training camp as soon as possible.

Ai giggled, asking the volleyball captain if he was abusing his status to get what he wanted.

He scoffed, and insisted that it was all so they could go to Spring High Nationals. And, because he was a nice person.

They laughed.
Ai held Nekoma's oldest middle blocker accountable for mentoring Tsukishima, while Bokuto had illuminated to him the reason to play volleyball. Her childhood friend from Chiba also told her a few stories about growing up with Kenma.

The two spent an hour on the phone until Ai wasn't sure how much longer Akashi could keep his composure.

It wasn't that her boyfriend didn't want her to call her friends; he respected that she had a life of her own.

He wanted her to have friends, even if they were guys. It was just... inconvenient at times that the sports clubs she managed were all composed of male athletes. And she seemed awfully close to them.
The sports players were competitive to some degree — they had to be, but some were more so than others — and Akashi didn't like to lose.

He waited out in the hallway to give his girlfriend space, somehow upholding his patience.

However, as soon as she ended the call, Akashi entered the room swiftly and wrapped her up in a big hug again. He leaned his head against hers and secured her within his arms. Ai smiled and relished being surrounded by his embrace.

Kenma and Akaashi texted her safe travels and invited her to come to Tokyo again soon; her chat history with each setter was growing longer and longer.

Fukurōdani's vice-captain told her that Bokuto wasn't as lively without her around, and Kenma would mostly reply within a minute.
He didn't outwardly show his emotions, but anyone could see that the red team's setter cared about the manager and put more effort into communication with her. After all, Kenma pausing his video games for something or someone was a rare occurrence.

All of Nekoma missed her, too. And nobody could blame the Cats for wanting her as their manager.

.

Since Ai wasn't riding the train back to the Tōhoku region with Murasakibara, she borrowed Akashi's oven to bake cookies for his trip back to Akita. Three dozen homemade snickerdoodles should keep him pleased. They were usually meant for the holidays, but he could use some extra happiness after breaking his arm.

Going home on August 30th additionally meant that she would miss Aomine's birthday by a measly day. She baked an extra batch for the blue-haired ace, asking Akashi to pass them along.

———

(August 30)

It took roughly four hours to go from Tokyo to Miyagi prefecture. She texted Aone for Date Tech and messaged Aomine on the ride back, being reminded of her strange dream from two nights ago.

Ai: I'm sorry I couldn't stay for your birthday, Daiki-kun. I hope you have a happy birthday tomorrow and celebrate with everyone else.

Daiki-kun: sure i guess. no big deal