1.5 A Coward's Anxiety

The match to assess the incomers was quickly getting heated. Tsukishima even threw his sweater off and returned to the game with a determined look. Ai picked his clothing off of the floor and folded it neatly, hoping he wouldn't mind.

The game finished with team Kageyama and Hinata winning by four points. They had concocted a novel attack where the genius setter tossed the ball right into the spiker's palm as he swung down. It was a feat never seen before; even Takao and Midorima had their eyes open when they did their Sky Direct Three-Point Shoot.

To her delight, it also resulted in many detailed notes. She smiled and set it aside.

After, Ai retrieved her own black jacket and officially welcomed the four new members. She took out her phone and took pictures for keepsakes as well. Tsukishima had been coerced into wearing his new garment, and Tanaka taught them how to pose and loved the attention.

Just then, someone burst through the entrance, announcing a practice match with Aoba Johsai, otherwise known as Seijoh.

.

Ai, being the treasurer for the club, set aside the finances for four new water bottles and some extra towels. After practice, she also mopped the floor and talked to Takeda-sensei, the supervisory teacher of the club, about the details of the away practice game.

When she caught up with the others, she and Daichi compared notes in the store at the foot of the slope. Sugawara and Kageyama also gave their opinions on how their starting lineup should be.

.

Monday morning, the team went over their plans. Instead of Sugawara and Narita, Kageyama and Hinata got the part. Ennoshita still played for the missing third-year, and they would be stupid to not use Tsukishima, the new tallest member of their club, for his height.
Yamaguchi was the only first year to not be a regular of the volleyball team, and she noticed him looking down and gloomy.

"Tadashi."

He stiffened immediately. "Y-yes!"

"Don't feel bad. There are six positions when it comes to volleyball, seven including the libero..." she glanced at the current team, still missing two star players and her close friends. She still felt odd to have so many choices of who got to play, since it was always the usual six for the five-player sport at Teikō.
"However, there will be other matches. Not being in the starting lineup doesn't mean you won't get switched in during a game."

Yamaguchi was awestruck for a while, so it took some time to register her words. 'When it comes to volleyball'...? he thought.

Hinata was uncertain of whether or not he was cut out for a middle blocker position, the same as the lanky Tsukishima, and Ai made quick thinking when he short-circuited from the pressure of having to be flawless. She applied a wet towel to his forehead and cheeks, attempting to cool him down, and ran to the infirmary to get an ice pack.

.

In the afternoon, she knocked on the door of the club room. "May I come in?"

"In a minute!" Tanaka yelled.

She waited until he, Tsukishima, and Yamaguchi came out. "About time. Be grateful for the extent of my cleaning services."