2 Years Ago - At Teikō Junior High

Authors Note:

Surprise! I didn't plan on it, but here's a bonus chapter for this week! 😊

I admit that it's kind of a filler to explain Ai's character, but I didn't know where else to add it. I blindly came up with this after I saw the Kuroko no Basket movie, Last Game.

Hopefully, it describes a little bit about her past and her time at Teikō when Akashi's cold other half ruled over his body (when he still had heterochromatic eyes).

You don't have to read it if it's too obnoxious.

Basically, Ai's personality went cold when Akashi did, but she warmed up again after coming to Karasuno.

Please comment if my KnB facts are wrong!

As always, thanks for voting and reading!!!

***

Ai remembered when Akashi's personality unmistakably changed in the third year of middle school. His eyes grew cold and stopped showing much emotion. It was around the same time that Aomine was relieved from coming to practice, and Murasakibara and Midorima's true powers awakened.

Akashi was distant and lacked compassion toward his teammates. He focused on schoolwork and basketball, as to not lose to anyone. It was an indescribable amount of pressure from both himself and his father.

Ai had mirrored his attitude, shutting out her own. She acted emotionless and responded to people with an apathetic, monotone voice. Her smile vanished, and she didn't invite interpersonal connections.

She found comfort in numbness, and it showed in her actions and piercing glares. If there was one thing she absolutely detested, it was the incomprehensible way people wasted their time on trivial, meaningless things. The principle applied to herself, as well. She hated herself whenever she didn't do her best and couldn't stand thinking of what could have been. If she didn't push herself to her limits, Akashi would leave her. She wanted to remain rightfully by his side, to be a version of herself that she could be proud of. The moment she let her guard down, she wouldn't be able to face the Emperor, let alone meet his eyes when they spoke.

Unreasonably or not, she expected the same from her peers. Ai didn't waste her time with those who didn't put in the work and disregarded most of her immature classmates. Consequently, she was called names like "Ice Queen".

Paired with the Absolute Emperor, they were the reigning and ultimate, Heartless Couple.
Some Wonderland Teikō Junior High School was.

When the two of them were alone, Akashi still treated her as his girlfriend, but it was without emotion. His hand felt cold upon touch, and the kiss on her knuckles felt more of an obligation.

Only a few words were exchanged between the two when necessary, which was very rare. She learned how to pick up on his desires as much as the others and responded accordingly. Knowing his mother's loss was irreplaceable for him, she made some effort of support but didn't overstep.

Especially with His Majesty, she wanted to stay in her place as his companion outside the court, and nothing more. The most she offered was small, silent physical contact: holding his hand, patting his back, and smoothing out invisible wrinkles in his white blazer jacket.

.

Ai and Akashi continued to play shōgi now and then in their free time at school. However, their conversations exponentially decreased, and the two of them often sat in silence. His comments about her moves during the game ceased, and he didn't offer much advice. Nonetheless, she kept playing with him, and he with her without complaint. Now that she thought back to those times, perhaps she felt the appearance of the original Akashi in the back of her mind, and that was why she insisted on having rematch after rematch.

When she lost, Ai would often silently start resetting the board for a new game. Other times, Akashi would finish studying the pieces' positions and initiate another round, with a single word in English.

"Again."

Her boyfriend didn't mind spending his time with her. They studied together, and their routines at club didn't change. He continued to accept her as his partner, and his Emperor half respected her without argument. He appreciated her attentiveness to him and his needs, as well as her willingness to agree and support him with trust. A reliable companion, and an empress consort to the Emperor.

Ai also sharpened her skills of observation and further honed her talent for reading people's minds. She provided and donated her time and efforts to support the club. Staying busy kept her mind off of things and the negativity at bay. From afar, she may have looked to be a punctilious maid assisting the team, but those who knew her or were otherwise granted with her presence felt the prominent, unfading regality of her aura. Ai wasn't someone they wanted to cross, regardless of her affiliation with Akashi.

Her sharp looks reminded the club members of their rank as subjects to the captain of the basketball team and demanded them to swear an oath of compliance. Although it was Akashi who wore the crown, she was the one who sustained it atop of his head. Behind every powerful man was an even stronger woman. She had no interest in being the center of attention, but she helped him rule and retained his subordinates under his commanding order.

The others asked her if Akashi was okay and what had changed, but she had always diverged from their questions. She could tell they were concerned, but they didn't have the luxury of being worried about anyone other than themselves. Kise needed to improve, Kuroko was still searching for his answer, and Midorima had to practice increasing his range of shots. Regardless, they all kept an eye out for her. Even Aomine was concerned about their precious manager, and he lazily looked out for her well-being with Murasakibara.

.

Ai admired Akashi's unwavering confidence and authoritative atmosphere. Her awe for his undefeated and dominant status for everything was endless. Determined to work hard, she didn't want to be left behind anymore. Not by him. She wondered how he attained the absolute victories and discreetly wished to share his talent for strategizing.

Perhaps then, she could be of more help to Karasuno's winning probabilities.

Her heart gradually thawed after coming to Karasuno, a favor owed to Nishinoya and Sugawara. They, along with Ennoshita and Kinoshita, had helped her remember the importance of warm compassion and empathy. Their kindness was infectious, and although she had never stopped her role of caretaking, they taught her that it was better done with loving thoughts.

***

I'll talk more about Ai's skills in an additional chapter like this one! Just have to write it up first...

Thanks for all of your insightful questions and comments!!! They've really helped my writing, and I love hearing your opinions! 💕
Keep them coming! 😊

***

Anyone else who you would want to see end up together? (Besides our main couple, of course 😉)

Total Word Count: 1168