2.17 The Fight of the Spineless

(THE RANKING FOR THIS BOOK IS SO HIGH OH MY GOODNESS- Thank you all so much!!!)

I added onto this chapter for this week instead of making multiple parts! Please scroll down to about halfway to find the added part!

I know I'm all over the place with the timeline, but the flashback scenes in this chapter are mostly from the Haikyuu episode.

I'll add them in the table of contents where I think it fits in the timeline; I hope this helps clear things up a bit.
Please comment if anything's too confusing.

(Reference: I don't know if Ennoshita and Narita were in the same class last year, but I'm going to say that they were.)

***

Reference:

Wakutani Minami High School (Wakunan):
Coach - Onikōbe Masaomi
#1 Nakashima Takeru (Captain & Ace) - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#2 Kawatabi Shunki - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter
#4 Shiroishi Yūki - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#5 Hanayama Kazumasa - 3 - S
#8 Naruko Teppei - 3 - MB
#10 Akiu Kazuteru - 2 - Li
#11 Matsushima Tsuyoshi - 1 - MB
(Nakashima Isamu - Former Captain & S)

***

"Sawamura-san!" Kageyama yelled.

"Daichi!" Asahi shouted.

"Daichi-san!" Tanaka held his right shoulder that had sustained the impact with his left hand.

Everyone remained frozen in shock for a moment. The audience murmured about the collapsed player. Oikawa, who was upstairs with Iwaizumi, had also witnessed the collision.

Daichi slowly picked himself off of the floor as the adults ran to check on him.

"Where were you hit?!" Coach Ukai yelled.

"My face..."

Takeda-sensei crouched in front of the third-year, checking for a concussion. "Sawamura-kun, where are you right now?"

"S-Sendai City Gymnasium."

"Who is our current opponent?"

"It's Wakunan." Daichi took his hand off of his cheek. "I'm fine!"

"But it appears that you hit your head, so go to the medical office for now."

The coach agreed with the teacher.

Daichi looked frustrated, but Takeda-sensei put a hand on his shoulder that made him pause. "Go confirm that you are all right. That is the fastest path back to the game."

Kiyoko looked at him worriedly and gave him a tissue for the bleeding in his mouth; it turned out that he lost a tooth, but he didn't seem dizzy.

Depending on the situation, it could be that the captain won't be able to participate in this match against Wakutani Minami anymore. However, it was ultimately up to the coach.

Kiyoko gave him a towel and ice pack for his face.

Tanaka stepped up to them and started to bow. "Da...Daichi-san... I'm sorr-"

"Sorry, Tanaka," Daichi cut him off, a kind smile on his face. "I saw you coming in to cover, but my body had a will of its own and plunged in. But look... Because of that one point you took back, we're at the 20-point mark now."

Indeed, the score was 20-17, Karasuno's advantage.

Daichi patted the second-year's bicep while Tanaka hung his head in guilt.

The No. 5 wing spiker had a really strong mentality during a match, but that was only when he was cornered to make a play. Now that he broke the leader and team's pillar of stability, this was a new challenge for him.
And adding on to the responsibility, if they dropped this match, it would be the last game for Daichi.