Yachi Hitoka's Birthday (September 4)

Author's Note:

I know I was supposed to start Season 3 Shiratorizawa vs Karasuno a few days ago, but here I am still slowly updating the birthdays that I skipped over...

I'm not going to decide on a new date (since I don't want to have to extend and disappoint again🙁), but I am still working on this story!! And I will definitely upload more chapters!!
As proof, I think I might post sneak peeks of what I'm writing on Tumblr (@ loveai2). They'll be available for people who don't mind spoilers for this story and want to know my thought process of writing! Manga/time skip spoilers for Haikyuu will be marked as such, so you can sort through and read what you want to read.
(Please see the announcement on my profile for more information!)

As always, comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome! Apologies for the sporadic updates!!

***

Author's Note:

I added a bit to chapter 2.14 Growing Fast part two, so please check that before reading this chapter! Thank you!

***

It was the start of a hot Tuesday evening when the coach was starting to wrap up practice for the day.
School had resumed yesterday, so the guys were tired from a day of both classes and club.

"Before you leave early today, Kei," she said, making him pause in taking a drink. "Won't you stay to celebrate Hitoka-chan's birthday together?"

Tsukishima blinked behind his glasses. "Sure, I guess."

"Wonderful." She glanced around the gymnasium.
Hinata was chatting with Yamaguchi, Kageyama was talking with Daichi about something, and Yachi, thankfully, wasn't suspicious when Kiyoko told her that she was going to the faculty office to retrieve something. Sugawara and Asahi laughed and smiled with Nishinoya as well.

"Kei," she said.

He lowered his eyes to meet hers. With their height difference, Tsukishima felt like he was talking to a middle schooler. A very mature one, who was very practiced in commanding people much taller than her.

"As much as I'd like to stay here with all of you, I have to graduate someday."

A brow twitched on the blond's face. He didn't say anything, but his expression told enough.

"And when that day comes, I hope that Hitoka-chan will take on the club for me. Like I will for Kiyoko-senpai."

Tsukishima nodded, thinking that it was the reaction she was waiting for. Why is she bringing this up?

Ai softened her tone and looked out at the other members. "That being said, it'd be in your best interest to get along with your fellow first-years. Not that you don't already, but they're your companions for the three years of high school."
Although she didn't know, Kuroo had said something similar to Kenma last year as well, when the setter, Taketora, and Fukunaga were just starting to get along.

'You need to at least try to work with others,' the future cat's captain had said to his younger friend. 'Look, I know you're not gonna suddenly turn into an extrovert, but you're going to be spending a lot of time with these classmates.'

Tsukishima pursed his lips for a moment, and then gave her a curt answer before drinking water again. "Yes, ma'am." 

She touched his arm before heading to join the opposite hitter and starting setter's conversation.

In the passing seconds, Tsukishima felt his face getting hotter and hotter, all the way up to his ears.
Was he really being that dependent on her? Enough for her to have to have a talk with him? How embarrassing.
He drank some more water, mostly to cool his face, and calmed down before stepping back onto the court.