Hayama Kotarō's Birthday (July 25)

(Day 3 of the Shinzen Training Camp)

Ai: Good morning, Seijuro. I hope basketball practice goes well today. Best wishes to Hayama-san.

.

"Huh? What's that sound?" Yaku glanced around with a towel at his neck.

"A ringtone?" Inuoka noticed it as well.

"Oh," Shibayama exclaimed when he found its source. "It must be Ai-senpai's! She left it here."

"What do we do? There's an incoming call," the taller first-year said, looking at the red cellphone in his friend's hand.

Overhearing the cats' conversation, Kinoshita walked over with an offer. "Um, I can take it to her if you want. She went to the water fountain, right?"

Yaku looked up. "Yeah. Would you? Thanks."

The younger libero hurriedly passed him the phone, and the second-year from Karasuno jogged to give it to her before the call stopped.

"I'll go, too!!!" Nishinoya shouted, running after him.

.

Ai had stepped outside to refill a few of the emptying water bottles for Nekoma. Rainy season was at its end, according to the local weather reports, and the summer heat was raging on.
The guys went through the bottles like crazy, especially since they used some of the water to take a mini shower. They sprayed the cool liquid on their heads or wiped their flushed faces with moistened towels. The penalty sprints added onto the exercise from practice matches as well.

Ai was fine with running back and forth to the water fountain if it meant the athletes would stay hydrated.

She twisted the caps off and washed them quickly, swishing the inside clean. They were almost done with practice, so she doubted they would need them full to the brim. While she was thinking this and admiring the start of sunset around her, she heard Kinoshita's voice from the direction of the gymnasium door.

"Ai! Your phone's ringing!" he shouted to her, standing in the doorway so he didn't step outside in his volleyball shoes.

She raised her head and looked behind her, seeing him leaning outside. Then, Nishinoya came up from behind Kinoshita. The libero waved at her with the ringing phone in his palm.

"Want me to take it for you?!" he yelled.

Ai glanced down at her wet hands. "Will you?" she replied in a louder voice than usual.

"Uhh..." Kinoshita peered into her phone screen with the libero and looked back up at her, wearing a troubled expression. "I think you should take it."

She sighed and twisted the faucet shut. Leaving the bottles as they were, she grabbed the towel beside her and wiped the water droplets from her hands.

Walking over to them with a raised brow, she took her phone from them. Ai instantly understood their hesitation when she saw who was calling for herself. "Hello?" she asked, sending a teasing smile to the second-years.

"Ai," Akashi's voice sounded. "Are you free to talk right now?"

"What's wrong?" He didn't usually call her at practice, especially during training camps; they knew each other's schedules.

"Hayama would like to speak with you." She heard other people talking in the background, too, as he spoke into the phone.

"Sure," she agreed, seeing no harm in speaking to his teammate. Ai had been meaning to meet them in person. However, her schedule hadn't permitted it yet.

The phone was passed along. "Hi!!! Akashi's Girlfriend-san??? It's Hayama Kotarō!"

"Hello, Hayama-san. It's nice to speak to you."

He laughed. It reminded her of two radiant people she knew. His voice somehow sounded familiar as well. "You too!!!"

"Happy birthday," she offered. "I hope you have a great year."

"Thanks!!!" His energy was electric, like the Lightning Beast he was. "Wow, even her voice is pretty!" he said aloud.

Even my voice? Ai narrowed her eyes. Akashi must have shown them a picture of her.
Nishinoya and Kinoshita were called back for a team meeting, so they left with a wave. She lightly bumped fists with them, a quieter option than a high five, and saw them off. "Thank you for being such great teammates to Seijuro. I'm glad he's surrounded by caring people."

"You're welcome! But, Akashi's pretty nice to us, too!"

She heard Akashi clearing his throat. "Hayama, are you done? She has practice to return to, like us."

"Oh, yeah. Bye, Ai-san!"

"Goodbye, Hayama-san." Ai bowed her head a little with her phone against her ear, although the third-year couldn't see her.

"Ai," Akashi spoke after a second. "My bad for calling you during practice. Are you okay?"

"Yes, I was just filling water bottles." She looked back at the water fountain, her task left half-finished.

"I'll let you get back to it, then."

She hummed a response before asking, "Seijuro?"

"What is it, Ai?"

Her free hand fiddled with her necklace. "Will I be able to see you when you travel to Tokyo for Interhigh?" Although she was in Saitama, it was much closer to Tokyo than Miyagi. Ai would make the most of this opportune training camp.

Moreover, after having a confrontation with her long-lost childhood friend, Kuroo, she wanted to see Akashi again. Perhaps to confirm that she loved him more than anyone, and that their feelings for each other were still as strong as ever. It seemed too long since she'd last hugged him, and Ai was afraid she was beginning to forget how good it felt to be with him, her boyfriend, Akashi. She needed him.

"Could I stop by your hotel or something?" she asked, but Ai knew that she most likely wouldn't have the time.

"I'll see you soon. I promise," he said.

A breath escaped her lungs. "...Okay," she replied, but it didn't fully answer her question.

"Until then."

Beep.

———

At Rakuzan High School
(Kyoto)

"I didn't think you would let Kotarō borrow your phone, Sei-chan." Mibuchi stood by, at a respectful distance away from the phone call.

"Did you wanna talk to her too, Reo-nee?" Hayama asked. As if remembering something, he looked around the gymnasium. "Huh? Where's Ei-chan?"

"He went to the weight room for his towel." Akashi clicked his phone off, but continued to stare at it longingly. "Hm. It's nice to call her often." He was happy that he was able to hear her sweet voice.

The Night Spirit smiled knowingly as he watched his lovesick basketball captain. "I'm happy for you, Sei-chan."

Akashi looked at his reliable vice-captain. "Thanks."

***

How close of a relative is Coach Shirogane Kōzō (from Teikō) and Coach Shirogane Eiji (from Rakuzan)?
Do they contact each other?

Total Word Count: 1106