OVA 2 vs. "Failing Grades"

I can just see these play out in my head as I write lol.
I hope I write well enough for you to imagine the scenes, too!

Enjoy the long chapter!
(I'll work on the birthdays next!)

I'm guessing this takes place around episode 2.3

***

Reference:

Failing marks in Japan are anything under 40/100 points.

But, for Karasuno's supplementary lessons system, they have to one, take the lesson and two, retake the supplementary exam until they get at least 80/100 points.

***

"Please come to the staff room if you have any questions or if there are mistakes regarding the exams." Just as the teacher finished saying this, the school bell chimed. "And, that's it. Class dismissed."

The students in 2-4 sighed and groaned. The teacher left the classroom, and the short homeroom ended.
They had gotten all eight of their tests back, each with a daunting red number on the corner of the paper.

Ai didn't do too bad, and her English was a perfect score as always. The test questions were easy compared to living abroad for four years.

"Ai-chan! Here's your test back. Thanks for showing it to me!" One of her sadō clubmates, who also happened to be in her class, came to her desk to return it.

"Sure, Karen-chan." Ai nodded and slid the paper into her folder. "I hope it helped."

"It did!" She smiled sweetly. "Want to go to club together?"

"I would...," the volleyball manager started to say. She was interrupted, as expected, by a familiar voice from the hallway.

"Ai!!!" Nishinoya ran to her classroom door and waved a paper in her direction. "It worked! I got a forty-five!"

She smiled at him from her seat. "I'm glad you made it, Yū."

"Come on, Nishinoya." Ennoshita grabbed his bag and stood with Narita. "Let's go get changed."

"Could I borrow the test later, too?" the middle blocker asked.

"Here, Kazuhito. Take it with you now." Ai pulled the sheet out again and gave it to him. "I'll see you in the gymnasium."

"Thanks." Narita smiled and went with the wing spiker to drag the libero away.

As Ai quietly wondered how Tanaka did, she packed her things and joined her sadō clubmate to go to the tatami room downstairs.

"Your tests are always so popular," the girl said as they descended the stairs together. "You know you're the only one who gets a hundred for English in the entire school? It's amazing!"

Ai giggled. "How do you know?"

"I overheard the teachers talking about it, and our senpais said it's true."

They rounded the corner on the first floor.

"You should see my score for Historical Japanese. It's just as bad as everyone else's," Ai said honestly, and she opened the sliding door when they arrived.

"That one's always hard. The grammar is seriously an unsolvable mystery... like a different language altogether."

Ai smiled, happy to have made marvelous new friends outside of sports and expanded her network of people. The girls chatted and got ready for another tranquil Friday of extracurricular tea ceremony lessons.