1.18 Guarding Your Back

Reference:

Date Technical High School (Date Tech):
Coach & Faculty Advisor - Oiwake Takurō
Manager - Nametsu Mai - 2
[Interhigh]
#1 Kamasaki Yasushi (Vice Captain) - 3 - MB
#2 Moniwa Kaname (Captain) - 3 - S
#3 Sasaya Takehito - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter
#6 Futakuchi Kenji (Iron Wall) - 2 - WS / Outside Hitter
#7 Aone Takanobu (Iron Wall) - 2 - MB
#12 Obara Yutaka - 2 - WS
#13 Sakunami Kōsuke - 1 - Li

Date Technical High School (Date Tech): Coach & Faculty Advisor - Oiwake TakurōManager - Nametsu Mai - 2 [Interhigh] #1 Kamasaki Yasushi (Vice Captain) - 3 - MB #2 Moniwa Kaname (Captain) - 3 - S #3 Sasaya Takehito - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter #6 Fu...

***

The first set amazingly went to Karasuno.

The two teams switched sides and had a quick meeting about their starting lineup. Tsukishima was up front first to pair with the brow-less Number 7, so that Hinata avoided going up against the opponent's tall height. As he saw it, the blond's role was to simply hold down the fortress while their shortest middle blocker was in the back.

However, there was a reason why the contender Date Tech was called the Iron Wall; all of their blocks were admirable. They were famous among the female volleyball players as well.

Ai took notes on the second-year giant, Aone Takanobu, with his fast reflexes and read blocking. Considering his height and position, she thought of having a talk with Tsukishima, their own middle blocker. While Yamaguchi took on the task of learning the jump floater serve into his hands, Tsukishima was a bit like Murasakibara. He didn't really play because he loved the sport but rather because it was there as an option for his blessed height.

She also thought of Kenma, who similarly didn't seem to care much for the sport itself, which reminded her to ask Kageyama how he felt about learning to do setter dumps.

.

True to his word, Nishinoya guarded their back. His unprecedented receive using his foot and Asahi's kill were what won them both the second set and match. Their libero was a genius, and the ace was back on track.

The ball had tightroped on the net, before falling onto the other court in front of Futakuchi and the third-year wing spiker. Ai was overwhelmed with emotions, screaming along with the girls in uniform.

"Karasuno!"

Everybody roared. The audience had never shouted so many times. Hinata made a friendly rival in Aone, sealed with a respectable handshake as the teams walked off of the court. He was truly becoming the next Little Giant. She was glad for him and for the bolstered confidence Asahi had gained from this revenge match. They were lucky that no one had caught onto how the duo differentiated the deviant quick attacks, too.

She noticed how Seijoh's coach kept an eye on their team throughout the day, and Ai watched what she could of their tactics in return. Going to tournaments was propitious for watching other schools in official games.

———

Last Winter
(continued)