2.18 The Losers

Reference:

Wakutani Minami High School (Wakunan):
Coach - Onikōbe Masaomi
#1 Nakashima Takeru (Captain & Ace) - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#2 Kawatabi Shunki - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter
#4 Shiroishi Yūki - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#5 Hanayama Kazumasa - 3 - S
#8 Naruko Teppei - 3 - MB
#10 Akiu Kazuteru - 2 - Li
#11 Matsushima Tsuyoshi - 1 - MB
(Nakashima Isamu - Former Captain & S)

Wakutani Minami High School (Wakunan): Coach - Onikōbe Masaomi #1 Nakashima Takeru (Captain & Ace) - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter #2 Kawatabi Shunki - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter #4 Shiroishi Yūki - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter #5 Hanayama Kazumasa - 3 - S #8 ...

***

On the court to the right of them, a match between two bluish teams started. One was turquoise, the other was teal. The turquoise team had the feared third-year captain, and he shook hands with the second-year captain from the teal team. It didn't matter that Futakuchi had next year to play as well. Age and social hierarchies were meaningless once they were on the court.

Oikawa knew in his entire being that it didn't matter if they were a first-year or a third-year. The strong were the strong, and the one who dropped the ball would lose.

.

It was completely pouring outside. The weather predictions for October were often like this in Miyagi, and today was no different.

Ennoshita wasn't doing very well. Ai counted three spike misses since the second set had started. Now, Wakunan was at set point, with 24-20.
It could have partially been due to being on the right, a side that the left-wing spiker wasn't used to. However, the highest factor was probably pressure.

With another deflection from Captain Nakashima, the second set went to Wakunan.

Ai hurried downstairs to meet with them during the limited break time. She went straight to Ennoshita and hugged him tightly. His look of surprise told her that he wasn't expecting it.

Well, he should have known better.
"Chikara, it's alright. You should play in your own style, in your own way. You don't have to stress yourself."

"Y-yeah," he answered halfheartedly.

Twisting her lips, she tapped his cheeks with her palms to get his attention and focus. "Just keep your eyes open and breathe."

Ennoshita nodded wordlessly.

"Hey!" Kinoshita said. "You got a look on your face like the world's going to end!"

Tanaka clapped a hand around Ennoshita's shoulder. "It's too early for the world to end!"

"The Earth Defense Force!" Nishinoya proclaimed.

"I do not look like that!" he screamed, shaking the two obstreperous ones off of him.

The other second-years smiled.

"Alright! Chikara's back!"

Ai walked in front of Yamaguchi next, also pulling him into a hug. After, she tapped a fist on his chest softly. "Next time, Tadashi. Next time."