2.13 Simple, Pure Strength

Reference:

Kakugawa Academy:
Coach - Sakakibara Gorō
#1 Nurukawa Yoshiaki - 2 - MB
#3 Makado Eiji - 2 - MB
#4 Asamushi Kaito - 2 - WS / Outside Hitter
#5 Komaki Yuzuru (Captain) - 2 - S
#7 Inagaki Isao - 2 - WS / Opposite Hitter
#9 Hyakuzawa Yūdai - 1 - WS / Outside Hitter
#12 Minamida Taishi - 2 - Li

Kakugawa Academy: Coach - Sakakibara Gorō #1 Nurukawa Yoshiaki - 2 - MB #3 Makado Eiji - 2 - MB #4 Asamushi Kaito - 2 - WS / Outside Hitter #5 Komaki Yuzuru (Captain) - 2 - S #7 Inagaki Isao - 2 - WS / Opposite Hitter #9 Hyakuzawa Yūdai - 1 - WS /...

***

Yachi was shaken by the reality of a person over two meters tall. She hadn't met Murasakibara when he had visited their school, and Yōsen's team couldn't attend the barbecue in Saitama. Watching Hyakuzawa on the court doing warmups now terrified the first-year.

Ai chuckled and rubbed the younger girl's back. "You'll get used to it after a while."

Yachi's head turned rustily. "R-r-really?"

She nodded. "Yes, you'll be fine. Stay by me if you'd like."

The blonde nodded back speedily and with a determined face. "I'll do that."

The referee blew the whistle, and the teams bowed in greeting. Tsukishima was up to serve, starting the game.

Kagugawa's team was composed of second-years with one first-year ace. The captain seemed like a smart setter, and the libero was good. Ai wrote what she saw on the court and left blanks in her notebook where the coach could analyze the data.

They struggled with blocking the spikes that went right over their hands. However, Nishinoya and Daichi had observed the opposing first-year before the match. From watching their previous game and the warmups with them, Kakugawa's Number 9 appeared to not be able to hit in varying courses. He only spiked cross-court in the direction his body faced. And, judging from his plays, Hyakuzawa must have recently started playing volleyball. He was a novice like Lev, but he lacked the speed, senses, and dexterity of Nekoma's first-year. Therefore, they began to disregard the possibility of straight shots, and Nishinoya received the next spike.

The Karasuno team was creative and did well on offense as well. Many people came to watch, and the gallery became crowded.

Hinata was behind in height and power. Simple, pure strength beyond a certain level could suddenly become something that keeps ordinary people away. At least, when faced head-on.

There was more to volleyball than aerial combat.

The first set was only at 4-2, with plenty of time to control the game.

Kageyama spoke to Daichi as Tanaka was about to serve, and the boy in a blue shirt compared the glimmer in Hinata's eyes to his dog seeing food when it was hungry. The duo pulled off the new quick attack where the ball stopped and dropped.

Each team scored, until it was 14-15, Karasuno.

Whenever Hyakuzawa was in the backline, he stood in the corner, protected from incoming serves by his teammates. Additionally, this rotation brought Tsukishima to the front for the tallest block the black team had.