1.16 Winners and Losers

Reference:

Date Technical High School (Date Tech):
Coach & Faculty Advisor - Oiwake Takurō
Manager - Nametsu Mai - 2
[Interhigh]
#1 Kamasaki Yasushi (Vice Captain) - 3 - MB
#2 Moniwa Kaname (Captain) - 3 - S
#3 Sasaya Takehito - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter
#6 Futakuchi Kenji (Iron Wall) - 2 - WS / Outside Hitter
#7 Aone Takanobu (Iron Wall) - 2 - MB
#12 Obara Yutaka - 2 - WS
#13 Sakunami Kōsuke - 1 - Li

Date Technical High School (Date Tech): Coach & Faculty Advisor - Oiwake TakurōManager - Nametsu Mai - 2 [Interhigh] #1 Kamasaki Yasushi (Vice Captain) - 3 - MB #2 Moniwa Kaname (Captain) - 3 - S #3 Sasaya Takehito - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter #6 Fu...

***

Kageyama's serves were unstoppable, and Hinata soared every time he jumped with his mediocre height. They won the game without enacting their trump card of his and Hinata's blind fast attack. Everybody was impressed with Karasuno's revival. Hinata couldn't believe that they had won and would play another game in just a couple of hours.

However, as much as he was ecstatic, she suspected that he knew exactly how the losing team felt. But, the desire to win, to become strong, and to keep playing overrode his thoughts, and Ai sensed that Hinata's life revolved around those insatiable cravings.

In any case, competitive sports would always have winners and losers. It was just up to the winners to win the following matches in the losers' place.

.

She met up with Asahi before their next game against Date Tech, the school that had a traumatizing effect on him last year. As he sat on the bench outside of the double doors of the grand gymnasium, she handed him his smoothie. She had made and brought one for everyone as a light lunch. He drank it slowly, looking thoughtful.

"Asahi-san." She placed a hand on his arm and squeezed, reminding him of her presence. "You're not alone in this. You know the names of the eleven other members who have your back, and you've practiced so hard."

She took his large hand in hers and delicately drew the word for person (人) three times. Then, she looked at him expectantly.

He was in awe, but he caught on and made a swallowing motion with his hand.

Before long, Nishinoya and Daichi came to pick him up. She encouraged them and left again for the observation deck.

Nishinoya also spoke of trusting words when they practiced receives. His Rolling Thunder Again was perfect, and his positivity and coolness radiated. They couldn't have asked for a better libero.

———

Last Winter
(continued)

Her breath caught at her throat, and she couldn't believe her eyes.

He crouched in front of her, ending the phone call and putting it away in his white and baby blue Rakuzan jacket pocket. He dropped his school sports bag beside him, too.

Akashi then gently eased her hand from her phone and brought it to his lips. He kissed her knuckles before he finally met her eyes. "Ai."

She inhaled softly, but couldn't find the words to tell him.