1.10 Yearning

It was admirable to see Asahi playing with Sugawara and Nishinoya again. The three of them reconciled as they played, and the malignant atmosphere discernibly dissolved. It was a touching scene that almost had Ai tearing up with Tanaka, and the libero teased the ace about having skipped practice for a month. However, Kageyama and Hinata weren't giving up. With backup from Daichi and Ennoshita, they did fairly well.

Ai took notes on the skills each player had and concentrated on their strengths and weaknesses, as well as their emotional well-being for that game.

When Kiyoko tapped her shoulder and assigned her a different task, she started right away. Momoi had taught her a few things while they worked together for the two years. This time, she was using those skills against Nekoma High.

It was a public school in Tokyo, and she'd never really minded that particular high school when she had lived there. It turned out that they were indeed famous for their coach, Nekomata, and well-balanced receives. They seemed to have earned their nickname "Neko" and lived up to the feline flexibility. Another depiction of the team she imagined was that they were like the pieces or instrumentalists for an orchestra.

She managed to get some videos of their past games and planned to watch them during the next few days. Unfortunately, she couldn't go and scout them in person, as it would take all of six hours to get there and back.

Hinata distractedly received a spike from the redeemed ace with his forehead, having been in a daze of yearning; yearning for the title, ability, and strength. He also landed in an unskilled face-plant to save a jump floater serve.

Ten minutes to eight, and they'd already gotten a warning from a teacher doing rounds for locking up. They thanked the Neighborhood Association team for playing with them, and Ukai pointed out their terrible receives.

While the guys started cleaning up, she rushed over to Shimada to ask for his contact information. She'd seen how Yamaguchi's eyes shined in awe when he demonstrated the floater serves and knew that it would become useful in time. She already had the impression that he felt left out, and she wanted to help him hone his own skillset.

———

After Tōō lost to Seirin at
Winter Cup Last Year

"Ai-chan!" Momoi ran up to her as she exited the train station and attacked her with a hug, like how she always did to Kuroko. "You're here!"

"Hi, Satsuki. Thank you for picking me up." She glanced behind her. "You too, Daiki-kun. It's good to see you."

"Satsuki dragged me here," he explained, yawning. "Come on, let's go already."

Momoi nodded and pulled her along. "Come on! Everyone's waiting!"

They made their way to a cozy burger shop together. By everyone, she meant the people in Tokyo and Kanagawa.

When they entered the store, Aomine went straight for the counter to place his single large order. Momoi turned and led her to the long line of conjoined tables without missing a beat. Most of them wore the Seirin Basketball Club jacket, but she only recognized the Generation of Miracles.

"Sorry for the wait! Here she is!" Momoi presented her.

Ai beamed. "It's been too long."

"Ai-cchi!" Kise stood and came over to hug her. "Welcome!"

"Long time no see, Akatsuki-san." Kuroko set his vanilla shake down and smiled.

"It's great to see you again, Ryota-kun, Kuroko-kun."
Kuroko was the only one she addressed by last name, out of respect for Momoi. She smiled at the tall one with green hair, who adjusted his glasses with his taped fingers. "You too, Shintarō-kun."