1.3 The Formidable Ally

At lunch the next day, Ai saw the orange-haired boy practicing receives with Sugawara from the third-floor hallway window. She'd guessed it was one of the first-years who applied for the team, but she had never had an official introduction.

She entered her class, noting Tanaka snoring lightly at his desk when she passed by his classroom on the third door down the second-year hallway. The other guys had a marker in hand, drawing childish pranks on his face. Placing her notebooks on her desk, she went downstairs and outside to where they were. Tanaka could take care of himself.

When she got there, she caught a glance at the raven-haired boy leaving the scene. It seemed like they were interrupting a sensitive moment, so she waited a few seconds before stepping out of the shadows.

"Hello, Sugawara-senpai."

The third-year looked up and smiled, holding the volleyball.  "Oh, Ai! Hey."

The other boy stiffened and slowly turned back. A blush spread across his face and neck. Ahhh! The pretty person from yesterday! he thought.

Ai smiled. "Hello. We haven't officially met. I'm Akatsuki Ai (暁 愛), one of the managers of the volleyball team. Pleasure to meet you." Her cool aura and the slight breeze that caught in her hair were breathtaking. She bowed politely.

"H-h-hello!" he stammered. "I-I'm Hinata Shōyō."

She nodded and turned to the setter. "I'll practice with him. You should take a break, Sugawara-senpai. Ryu's already sleeping in class."

The third-year laughed. "I guess I saw that one coming. Thanks for taking over." Sugawara lightly threw her the ball. "Keep it up, Hinata!" He waved goodbye and left.

Hinata seemed nervous as he positioned his hands in preparation. "O-ok."

"Relax, Shōyō. The ball won't go where you want it to if you're so stiff."

"Y-yes, ma'am!"

Ai sighed. She stepped in front of him and placed the ball on the ground.

The boy looked bewildered.

She took his hand in both of hers and shook it. "Please, call me Ai. I want us to be friends." She hoped a warm smile and some physical contact would snap him out of it. She let go and pinched his arm for good measure. "Now, let's practice."

His eyes were wide and his mouth a little agape. Then, he grinned, and she knew it had worked. "Yes!"

For the rest of the week, Sugawara took the morning shift in helping the three prepare for their game on Saturday, while Ai threw the ball for Hinata during lunch. It was the least she could do. They practiced through rainy noons, and the two, early-rising secret helpers really did look tired after a couple of days. Ennoshita, Kinoshita, and Narita all chuckled and watched over them, too.

Fridays after school were when her plans were double-booked. She went to sadō club and had her lessons, practicing dedicatedly. Although she knew the overall flow of the procedures, she always had room for improvement and new discoveries. Her teacher was brilliant in that way.

It was already dark outside by the time she left the tatami room. She hurried to the gymnasium to meet everyone before practice was over. Jogging to the doors, she stepped inside out of breath. "Sorry I'm late." Her usual sereneness faded just a little when it came to her passions.

"Ai!" Kinoshita greeted her with a curt wave.

Daichi ran over to her. "Thanks for stopping by. The other two first-years just left."

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright. See if Shimizu has anything for you."

She nodded. "Of course."
It was only a matter of time before they were already cleaning up for the day. She helped mop the floor and practiced the steps in the tea ceremony in her mind as she walked home.