1.25 The Third Day

I can't believe how popular this book is getting!

Thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting! So much support 🥰

***

The next day was just another school day.
Had they won against Seijoh yesterday, it would have been the third day of the tournament. Ai guessed that the final round would start before noon, and the results would be out by the evening.

She had taken medication for the migraines and was feeling a bit better. She listened to her lessons in class but only took a few notes and barely participated. Ennoshita and Narita also seemed to space out.

.

Come lunchtime, the second-years gathered in Tanaka's classroom for a meeting.

Ai sat on the floor next to Ennoshita, with her head on Nishinoya's lap. Kinoshita and Narita stood nearby while Tanaka sat in his seat. The libero had his small hand on top of her head, soothing. Ai's long black hair cascaded straight down to her waist and covered her eyes.

Tanaka was determined to go to the Spring Nationals, with or without the third-years. After all, they had the four freshmen.

"The captain and Sugawara-senpai are both in college preparatory classes," Ai reminded them. "They have to study for college exams, unless they plan on taking a gap year."

It was socially frowned upon and uncommon to take gap years in Japan. They pursed their lips, all sinister.

Her hand grasped at the bottom hem of Nishinoya's black pants. It was the same feeling she had when she left Teikō, like her heart was being torn apart.

She squeezed her eyes shut. "Yū, Ryu, Chikara, Hisashi, Kazuhito. I promise to do whatever it takes."

"You just fainted yesterday, Ai," Narita objected.

"He's right," Ennoshita agreed.

"But," Nishinoya pet her head. "We can't do it without her."

Tanaka nodded.

Ai stood up and hugged each of them before leaving the classroom, hoping to wash her face and clear her mind.
Then, she saw Hinata in the courtyard. It brought back memories. She wanted to hurry downstairs to meet him, but lunch was almost over. It would have to wait.

.

Ai: We lost yesterday, third round.

Seijuro: I'm sorry to hear that. How are you doing?

Ai: Well, I suppose.

Seijuro: Come to Kyoto if you're not. I'll be waiting. The year has only just begun.

Ai: Thank you, I will. My best regards to Rakuzan's team.

Seijuro: Yes. Hayama says hi.

.

After school, although club was canceled for the entire day, everyone showed up to practice. Even Coach Ukai came to school, only to be surprised by the whole team already practicing. He came with the news that Seijoh lost to Shiratorizawa. With two straight sets, no less. If they wanted to go to nationals, not only did they have to beat Aoba Johsai, but they had to defeat the top team of the prefecture, a team who was even stronger.

Between training exercises, she met and had an individual conference with each of them. They looked over her detailed notes and made plans for improvement.

"Sawamura-senpai, I'm so happy you came back. Your receiving is unmatched, with the exception of Yū. Especially against powerful serves like Tōru-san's, we count on you. Your spikes are excellent, but I feel that you could be more vocal, as captain of the team. The team will follow your leadership. You know what's best for us."