1.22 Evolution

Reference:

Aoba Johsai Private High School (Seijoh):
Head Coach - Irihata Nobuteru
Coach - Mizoguchi Sadayuki
#1 Oikawa Tōru (Captain) - 3 - S
#2 Matsukawa Issei - 3 - MB
#3 Hanamaki Takahiro - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#4 Iwaizumi Hajime (Vice Captain & Ace) - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#6 Yahaba Shigeru - 2 - S / Pinch Server
#7 Watari Shinji - 2 - Li
#12 Kindaichi Yūtarō - 1 - MB
#13 Kunimi Akira - 1 - WS / Opposite Hitter

***

When he switched back in, Kageyama tried to smile. His ominous expression caused a slight commotion with Hinata, Tanaka, and Nishinoya. Asahi tried to calm them down, but Daichi looked proud, reflecting Ai's own emotions. The first-year setter was making efforts to be companionable. She made a mental note to assist Kageyama practicing to smile later, so that he doesn't look like he's planning something diabolic every time he tries to grin.

The genius setter focused on his serve, and the opposing libero's shank made a tie with Aoba Johsai. He slapped hands with Tanaka and communicated more with his teammates, asking how his toss was to Asahi. As for the quick attacks with Hinata, they were as lively as ever. Hinata thrived with Kageyama's tosses, and both of them brought out the best of one another.

Karasuno proceeded to take the lead on the scoreboard. Kageyama and Hinata used new signals, credits to Sugawara for coming up with them, and they got into the 20's first. That's when Seijoh's coach called for a time out. However, when they caught up, it was Karasuno's turn to pause the game.

During that time, Kageyama spoke to Tsukishima, and Ai had the feeling they were starting to bond. They conversed to understand each other, and Kageyama had a rather refreshed expression.

She smiled while her heart swelled. Tobio... she whispered in her head. Hinata, of course, and Yamaguchi were friendly with him, but with Tsukishima, he and Kageyama weren't quite on sociable terms. Ai had noticed this during their interactions at after-school practices and was worried about them.

However, Sugawara had saved the day again by teaching Kageyama to converse with everyone, including their tallest middle blocker. After their timeout, Kageyama fixed his tosses, and Tsukishima scored a couple of feints.

The tall blond acted cool on the outside, but there must have been a reason why he chose to play volleyball. He was in the Class 4 college preparatory class as well, evidence of his intelligence at a standard countryside high school like Karasuno. His twisted personality was also apparent when he spiked a ball after a series of feints.

At Karasuno's set point, Oikawa served, and Nishinoya caught it. The ball flew back over the net; Seijoh's chance ball. Kageyama grasped Tsukishima's uniform when he was about to jump. He was starting to look out for his team, and it was a big step in a positive direction.

Moreover, he was starting to pay attention to the psychological aspects of the game, not just the strategic ones. His evolution showed in his ability to read into Oikawa and Iwaizumi's combination, and the two of them blocked the shot.

They won the second set.

Onto the final set, and Oikawa was getting fired up at the time-old rivalry with his junior.

———

At first, Ai thought that the "King of the Court" was a regal and magnificent title, no matter what it stood for. If Kageyama didn't like it, they would simply have to prove people wrong and attach a different definition. A true king should lead with compassion for his subjects, as should an emperor. If he could learn to think of the other players individually and become considerate of them, he would certainly make positive developments.