Chapter 98

Aunt Kass had called and asked Carmela if she could get a couple of groceries before she came home. And that had scored them a trip to the ever-so-lovely supermarket.

Hosi groaned along behind Carmela, carrying two plastic baskets on his arms, as Carmela scrolled through Aunt Kass's list and plucked things off the shelf. 

"How long is this gonna take?" Hosi sighed loudly for the millionth time.

"Hosi." Carmela tried to keep her patience. "I just told you. Two. More. Minutes! Why are you here if shopping is so hard for you? No one even told you to come!"

"Carmela, you literally said two more minutes half an hour ago! We've been walking around this stinkin store like dorks for the past 3 damn hours--"

"No we haven't!" She whirled around, resisting the urge to rip her hair out.

"Have you looked at the time--" He began.

But both their ringtones played at the same time, and they quit their banter to look down at their phones. After exchanging a glare with Hosi, they both turned away and answered their calls. 

"Hello? Aunt Kass?" Carmela spoke into the cell.

"Hola, Carmela, por favor! HOLA. How many times have I told this crazy girl to greet me in Spanish, eh? Maybe one million times? Two million?" Aunt Kass replied, angrily. Carmela could imagine her shaking her head, and pacing around.

"Sorry--"

"Alright, I forgive you but I'm telling you THIS IS THE FINAL TIME!" The irritated woman stopped to catch her breath. "Now... I forgot to put turmeric on the list. Remember to bring that too, okay?"

"Got it. Anything else?"

"Nada nada nada, mija, thank you. Enjoy your shopping!"

"See you later, Aunt Kass."

Carmela tucked her phone into her back pocket, the cracks on the screen splitting its glass surface. She could still vividly remember the day those cracks had appeared. Unfortunately.

Hosi was still talking on the phone. Carmela tapped him and he turned around.

"Sure Jade, anything for my man Aaron. Okay-- yeah, I'll try to bring her too. Hold on--" He pulled away the phone for a second.

"Carmela, do you wanna go to Jade's house for a second? Just gotta do something." He said quickly.

"Like what?" She crossed her arms.

"Like... I need to help out a friend."

"Aaron?"

"Yeah?"

"Nope. No way."

"What, why?" Hosi pleaded, blocking his phone even more.

"He's a jerk! I don't wanna go to his fucking house, Hosi!" Carmela frantically whisper-screamed.

"Oh, come on! You can just chill with Jade! She wants to see you!"

"No!"

Hosi stared at Carmela for a moment, a blank expression coating his sharp features. Then he put the phone back to his ear.

"Jade? Yeah, we're on our way."

"What!" Carmela shrieked, immediatly looking around if anyone heard. Hosi just smirked and strolled away.

"Hosi! There is no way I'm going there. Do you understand me?"

********

Half an hour later, they'd finished up shopping, dropped off the groceries to Aunt Kass's place, and were now parked in front of Jade and Aaron's wonderful abode.