Chapter 75

"JK what the hell is wrong?" Carmela ran over to him, her voice thick with fear. She knelt by him, a hand on his thigh.

"I-It's... ah..." Jungkook sobbed heavily, nesting his head in his arms.

"What happened? Please tell me. Please!"

JK lifted his tear streaked face and gazed at Carmela with dead eyes. A flurry of fear shivered through her as he suddenly became still and cold.

Then he parted his mouth to speak.

"I got a call. From Hosi."

"A-about?" Her heart thudded.

"Yoon. He's..." He forced his trembling face to stiffen, as Carmela felt her legs go numb.

"He's dead."

W-wha... Carmela's throat choked up and a nauseous sensation swam inside her stomach.

******************

Yoon.

He's dead.

Carmela wiped her runny nose, as another tear fell from her throbbing eyes.

The car was silent, only the occasional muffled sobs from JK who was nestled close beside her in the back seat. Upfront, Jackson sat next to Zaraa who was driving them back to the city.

Back home.

Carmela's home.

"Shhh..." Carmela continued patting Jungkook's shoulder as he whimpered in his seat. She reached down between her feet to JK's bag. Zaraa had retrieved his things from his former residency before they left for Chicago.

So unexpectedly.

For such an unexpected reason...

Yoon.

Carmela covered her mouth with her hand to muffle the sob that ached inside of her. She couldn't believe it... so suddenly... without an explanation... just... he's dead? How is that possible, h-how did it happen, is it even true? Can it be true?

She unzipped the pocket of his bag and pulled out his phone and a pair of head phones. Turning on some music with trembling fingers, she clamped the head phones onto JK's ears.

"N-no..." He tried to take off the soothing music from around his head, but Carmela took his hands softly in hers.

"Sleep JK. Just... sleep." She whispered and tilted his head gently against her shoulder.

Soon, his quivering breaths slowed and deepened, and before long he was sleeping. Carmela felt her own puffy eyes droop and her head fell back agaisnt the seat.

She closed her teary eyes.

*******************

Carmela yawned and squinted her eyes against the blinding sunlight seeping through the curtains. The surface she was laying on was soft like her bed but... different.

It wasn't her bed.

"Where..." She lifted herself up from the pillow and peeked around.

And there he was.

His face was nuzzled against her arm and his dark curly hair was scattered messily over his forehead.

"Tae?" She felt a smile tug at her lips as she gazed down at him cuddling beside her.

But he didn't move.