Chapter 59

Carmela's insides froze as she listened to his deep voice on the other end of the phone. 

Wait he's actually calling? Why was he calling-- what was he calling for-- shit what should I do-- was it an accident-- WHAT COULD HE POSSIBLY WANT--

"Hello? Carmela?" Tae said again.

She quickly pat her thumping chest with a limp hand and took quick breaths, calming down.

"Ahem... hey." Carmela finally answered in an uneven voice, nervously shifting her feet on the pavement.

"Hey." He replied.

Carmela waited for him to say something, holding her breath.

"So... how are you?" He said softly.

"Me? Same as last night." She answered in a hard voice, her mood darkening.

"Right." He gently cleared his throat and she heard him breath out through his nose. For a moment, it felt as if he was right behind her, his whispers tickling her ear.

"Do you have something to say?" Carmela asked, impatient.

"Well... kind of."

"Kay, what?" She pursed her lips.

"If I... If I asked you to meet me, would you say yes?" 

A spark jolted through her as her fingers loosened around the phone.

"Why?" She replied, keeping her voice strong.

"Just... 'cause."

"That's not a good reason, you know."

"I know. Maybe I don't know the damn reason." His deep voice became a little embaressed as he spoke. Carmela pictured him staring into the distance, and ruffling his hair.

Should she see him? It was probably a bad idea but there were alot of unspoken words between them that needed to be sorted out. And she had to admit, she was a little curious. What did he have to say exactly, anyways? Maybe he would explain his behaviour from last night. Yeah, maybe she should go. She just had to keep herself under control though. She did trust him, just... not as much as before. And being cautious doesn't hurt.

"Where?" Carmela asked.

"Does that mean we're gonna meet?" He said, his tired voice coloured with excitement.

"Where, Taehyung?" She repeated. 

The phone went silent, and at that moment the bus halted to a stop in front of Carmela and it's doors slid open. She kept the phone at her ear and stepped onto the bus. She quickly sat in a seat directly behind the bus driver and put her little bag in her lap. Her stomach was twisting and she hadn't even noticed the uncomfortable feeling, as she waited for his voice. But it was just silent.

"Hello? Taehyung?" She said. Did he hang up?

"Ahem-- yeah. Sorry... just... yeah, still here." He stuttered, his voice sounding heavy. 

"Are you gonna tell me where we're meeting or should I just hang up?" Carmela said impatiently.

"Um... don't get mad."

"What?"

"Just don't get mad."

"Okay...?" What the hell was he--

"I'm standing in front of your house."

Carmela sat up straight in her seat, her heart thudding.

"My house? W-why... I'm not even home though." She stumbled over her jittery words.

"Oh. Well, I can wait." He replied.