Chapter 62

A shiver ran through Carmela as he softly spoke behind her. But she bit her lip and pushed her body forwards, stepping towards the door. 

But she suddenly felt large hands wrap around her waist and she froze with a gasp.

"Tae, what the fu--"

"Don't leave me hanging. We're friends--"

"And that's it!" Carmela tore out of his embrace, and spun around to face him. "We are just friends! Quit playing with me... and start acting like one." 

His face fell with his hands, as Carmela glared at him. What did this asshole think of her? He legit broke everything off, gave a big ass speech about how they should be friends now since they didn't have serious feelings for each other... so now what was this shit? Why does he feel the need to get so... so sexual and flirty?

"I'm leaving." Carmela pursed her lips and moved to the door again. She brushed past Namjoon impatiently talking on the phone, and pulled her shoes on. Without even looking back, she yanked the door open and let herself out of that suffocating house. 

"Ah--" She gulped in the fresh air, fast, trying to keep her body together. Fishing out her cracked phone, she quickly dialed Jerome's number.

"Yes, Carmela?" Jerome's raspy voice sounded on the other end.

"Hey. Can you pick me up? Right now? I'm at 9 Clementine street. Uh, it's pretty close--"

"I know where that is. Don't worry, Carmela. Be right there." 

"Thanks, Jerome. We're uh, lucky to have you." Carmela rubbed her forehead, heard Jerome say a 'Thank you', and hung up the call.

Everything was going well. Why... why did Tae have to do that? What the fuck does 'friends' mean in his world? Stupid asshole. He's just a flirt. A fake. Look at his relationship with Roxana for fuck's sake! They were legit friends with benefits. 

He really isn't what I thought...

But what did I even think?

That he was different from the rest. That he wasn't like all those jerks out there. That he respected her and promised to actually care for her. That he sincerely cared about the suffering of women...

No. That was just a damn illusion. Clearly he was looking for another... fuck buddy.

Carmela's thoughts halted as Jerome's car skidded to a stop in front of her. She stepped over to it, pulling open the passenger door, and seated herself inside. 

"You okay, Carmela?" Jerome asked as she buckled herself in.

"Me? Yeah!" She said sarcastically. "Better than ever."

"Haha, let's take you home." Jerome's wrinkled eyes stretched into a small smile as he turned out of Tae's neighborhood.

* * * * * * * * *

Jerome parked into the driveway and Carmela dragged herself out of the car and into her house.

"Carmela? Mija, you home?" Aunt Kass called from the living room. 

The voice of the T. V. filled Carmela's ears and she slumped over to the living room. Aunt Kass was curled up on the couch in a black baggy onesie, with her phone in her red taloned hand.

"No, I'm not home. I'm still out." Carmela snapped.

"Eh? Que pasa?" Aunt Kass furrowed her brows in worry.

"I'm just tired, that's all." Carmela sighed, but she glared at her aunt as she remembered something. "Aunt Kass? Why did you let Taehyung in?" 

"Why wouldn't I let him in? What do you have against our friendship?" Aunt Kass grumbled, watching the T.V.

"What friendship? Aunt Kass, he is a jerk! You don't even know him!" 

"Oh, I know him, mija. I know him better than you." Aunt Kass smiled at Carmela, and batted her lashes, looking back at her show. 

"Okay, Aunt Kass. Whatever you say! But next time he comes here, don't let him in!" Carmela exclaimed, turning away.

"Wait, Carmela! I have something to tell you." Aunt Kass called behind her.

She spun back around.

"I'm going to Aurora tomorrow." Aunt Kass stated.

"Aurora? What? Why?" 

"I have to go with the team for a meeting and then some type of new training. The whole Illinois police force have to come. As secretary, aparentemente, I must go with the Commissioner." 

"Oh. How long are you gonna be gone?" Carmela asked, her mood depleting. Aunt Kass had never been away from home before. This was the first time she needed to go somewhere for work. Must've been a pretty big meeting for the whole force to attend.

"5 days. Jerome will take care of you, and he will shop for food and things. But I'll be back before you know it, mija."

"But..." Carmela was nervous to be home without Aunt Kass. 

"Don't worry, Carmela, you'll be fine. Just please take care of yourself, love. And call me if there is any problem. I will be working but you can call me anytime, mi hija."

"O-okay." Carmela trudged over and sat next to Aunt Kass on the couch, hugging her.

"Te amo, mi princesa."

"I love you too, Aunt Kass. When are you leaving tomorrow?"

"Oh, very early. I have to be at the station by 6."

"I'll miss you." 

"Ayy, me too! Are you hungry?" Aunt Kass asked, as Carmela pulled away and stood up from the couch.

"No. I already ate." She gave her aunt a quick smile and turned out of the living room. Her shoulders couldn't help but slump as she walked to her room. No Aunt Kass? For almost a week. Who knew things could suck even more right now.

Carmela put her things in the room and grabbed some comfy clothes. She stepped into the bathroom, and took a nice long, hot shower. Her body felt massaged with the water as she cleansed herself from all the weariness of the day. The bathroom was steaming and foggy when she came out, drying herself with the towel. Leaving her wet hair tangled and unbrushed, she slipped on the comfy clothes and went back to her room. Her bones groaned with weariness and she shut the door, closed the curtains, and climbed under the plush covers of her bed. Plugging her music into her ears, she drifted into sleep, letting her mind wander through memories and thoughts and dreams.  

"Sleep like a winter bear..." 

* * * * * * *

Carmela ate breakfast alone in the quiet house. She listened to the sound of toast grinding between her teeth, trying to keep her heavy eyelids open. Jerome had already eaten and was preparing the car to take Carmela to work. She was already changed into a simple white cropped t-shirt and white high-waisted leggings. 

"Ugh." Picking herself up from the table, she slumped to the bathroom and brushed her teeth. 

She really wanted to get back to work, and finish choreographing and practicing the dance. But the feeling of sheer dread and sorrow just wouldn't abandon her mind. Hosi would be there, and she'd have to contain herself and try not to rip him apart with her teeth. And Tae... well he better watch out. Those two assholes had really drove her insane these past few days. No one messes with Carmela Lee. 

Grabbing her bag from the room, Carmela briskly stepped out of the house, shading her eyes from the morning sun. The engine of the car hummed as she approached, and sat inside. Jerome gave her a quick nod and they drove away. To another day of work. Let's see what today brings, hmm?