Chapter 37

This is the start of the war scene.

Song of the chapter: I See Fire by Ed Sheeran {it’s an amazing song} it starts close to the end, and continues on to the next chapter.

Questions for a Q&A?

Dedication to:@XxLifeIsGoodxX & @SmilingNiallxxx (props to you with your prediction. You are somewhat right.)

Answer: cookie: oreo or samoa (that one girl scout cookie with the coconut), ice cream: mint chocolate chip

Words: 2,964

Enjoy!

Warning: this chapter contains violence, and graphic scenes. Not suitable for younger readers. Again, if you’re not into violence, and these kind of things trigger you. Please don’t read. Message me or comment and I’ll explain what happened.

---

~Harry~

It’s odd to think that everything will come crashing down in a matter of minutes or hours. It’s terrifying actually. Terrifying to think that the people I’ve gotten close to could die today, that the one person I’ve ever loved could leave me, to think that I could die today. But really, I would rather die than let Niall die. It’s terrifying to think that everything I’ve come to love, will soon be ripped away from me. That this new life, could escape my grasp and then I’d have nothing again.

War is terrifying.

The sky was dark, but the flickering of the torches lit up the cell I was in. I could hear the commotion outside as I sat in the corner closest to the door, awaiting when they would come drag me to my ‘death’. In a way, they were doing just that, but it wasn’t because I was a traitor to them. It was because I was a traitor to the king, and you can’t have a war without death. You don’t fight a war with words, you fight it with knives and weapons, you fight a war by taking lives.

It’s not something you can be proud of exactly, and there’s no way you could ever be the same after something like that. But the freedom gained will be something to treasure forever, despite the nightmares that will come along with it. Thinking about it now, I’ve realized.

You can never be truly free.

But this was war, this was needed. The people needed the freedom, needed a world without being lied to. They needed something better. They needed a better world, a better reality, a better place to raise their children and grow old. They all deserved better.

The door squealed open, and I sat up straighter knowing what that sound brought. The thundering steps echoed off the rock walls, ringing in my ears. And then there were two men standing at the bottom of the stairs, a third still standing in the shadow of the staircase. The third stepped forward making himself known, and I smiled gently at Liam. He smiled back nervously, the anxiety for what was to come becoming too much. The other two unlocked the cage, stepping back and allowed Liam to step inside the place I got to call home for the past few days.

He extended his hand, same nervous smile on his face. The terror was clear in his eyes, and I felt as if he could see the terror in mine. None of us truly knew how the night would end, how tomorrow will start.

“Hands behind you mate.” He spoke soothingly, and I complied wincing slightly at the stretch of my chest and back. He clicked on a pair of black-as-night shackles and I relaxed my shoulders, no longer stretching the skin of my chest as much. The stinging pain was still there, but it was more of a dull throbbing now. Nothing like when I was getting them.