Chapter 11

Hello one and all! Welcome to another addition of this story!

Please keep your hands and feet in the ride at all times, keep squealing and fangirling excessively until the end where you can meet up with everyone else and do it together, and enjoy the ride.

Dedication: @abucola, @taryneckert, @narrylaughs, @SmilingNiallxxx- I used your question too, @BriannaThornton6, and @NarryDirectioner123 (because the correct answers were: beanie, snapback, and the quiff- most of you got 1 or 2 right.)

~Harry~

I liked hearing about the happier things in Niall’s life, I liked seeing the small smile that graced his features rather than the tears that gathered in his eyes but didn’t fall. For some reason, I loved his smile, and I hated when he cried- like there was a physical pain in my chest when I saw the sadness, one that I couldn’t explain. I was growing fond of the boy, he wasn’t some big bad dragon rider he was Niall. There was a difference, and he wasn’t a target anymore.

All this new information was swirling through my head, all of it changing my view on riders and the king. I didn’t know what to believe anymore, but what I did know was that I was being lied to. That I had been lied to my entire life. At least, that’s what I’m being told indirectly from not only the person that I was sent out to kill, but people I had known and trusted my whole life who had kept things from me. All I knew was riders weren’t as bad as I was taught they were, and the king wasn’t nearly as trustworthy as I was taught. And I knew one more thing:

I didn’t want to kill Niall anymore.

Now with all that I’ve learned, not just from him but from others too. We had been travelling for a few days now, sticking to the forested mountains. We hadn’t come across any more towns, the green expanse surrounding us, and it was nice- peaceful. Bane had mostly stayed out of sight, this place being a popular dragon hunting spot. She flew down when the darkness settled over us, and she was gone before the sun rose in the mornings. Niall feels a little down, but he, as well as I, understands why the precautions were needed.

I’ve learned a lot about him, and he’s learned a bit about me- not too much to give away what my original purpose was- but he learned. We had grown closer, and mixed feelings were arising. I had grown kind of fond of the blonde rider, and I could tolerate Bane- who had started warming up to me as well- I’m not saying we’re besties, but we were okay. The days pass by pretty quickly, and we don’t get to cover much ground because of my slight limp, the pain in my ankle causing us to rest when it becomes unbearable.

My fear was ever increasing though; I was terrified he would figure out the truth, terrified of what would happen. I was somewhat of a celebrity- once I had thought they were praising me, but they were just scared, I was taking away their hope- and people would know me anywhere really. But I wasn’t the same sheltered lad that had set off to kill the most important rider of our time, I was different. They just didn’t know it yet.

They didn’t know that I would rather help their hope rather than kill it.

Then again, I didn’t know that until recently either. My loyalty was still an iffy topic, I didn’t know what to believe anymore, nor did I know who to believe, but there was something earnest about Niall. Something that told me he wouldn’t make up stories like that, that he couldn’t fake emotions like that. Besides, why would he? He didn’t really know who I was, all he knew was I was a teenage runaway, trying to escape a life I never wanted. And most of that was true, except I didn’t know that I never wanted it, until now that is.

I’ve seen new sides of Niall that I never thought I would see. Hell, I never expected to see any sides of Niall, didn’t plan to know anything about him except how he sounds when he begs for his life. God, it was a morbid thought but it was true, and now- well now- I didn’t want to know what that sounded like. I wanted to make sure that no one ever heard that sound- that he never had to make that sound. I didn’t know what I would do with myself if he did.