Chapter 40

Guys, I burnt my finger and it's all red and painful... :(

Anywhore... Update! Yay!

Dedication: @CozzyNiall, NarryDirectioner123, @SmilingNiallxxx, @XxLifeIsGoodxX, and @Zianourry_16.

Answer: that moment, & Hercules, Aladdin, and Prince Eric :)

Enjoy!

This story only has a few more chapters left! I can't even right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Niall~

The day of celebration was still slightly weighed down with the loss of the fallen, but many still celebrated today. We not only celebrated our victory, but the lives of those who lost theirs. We knew that was what they would have wanted. We all knew what we had gotten into when we went into this war, and now we decide if our losses were too great. Even so, you can't change the past. There is no redo, no way to go back and prevent it from happening. You live with the choices you make, and make the most of your choices.

Harry had seemed a bit off after the ceremony yesterday, and I think the loss of his father- even though they weren't close- hit him pretty hard. He probably feels like he lost him all over again. I'm sure he wondered why his father had lied to him, and I'm sure that he wishes he could speak to his father once again. I felt somewhat guilty, at least when I had lost my father I had known it was coming, I had been close to him. With Harry, it seemed he had just gotten his father back before he lost him again, all those questions on his mind to be unanswered. I didn't know how to help him, I didn't even know if he wanted my help. He had been distant, but he hadn't been shutting me out. This morning he had seemed a little better, but I could still tell there was something on his mind.

The party was in full swing, but I could tell that Harry wasn't enjoying it as much as he should have been. I pulled him to the side, standing up against one of the walls of the castle that hadn't been destroyed, a hand on his cheek and worry in my eyes. He looked at me with a confused expression, but sadness swam around in his emerald eyes.

"What's wrong?" I questioned quietly, trying to get to the bottom of whatever was causing him sadness. All I wanted to do was help.

"Why did he pretend to be dead? Was I not good enough for him or what?" He questioned me, exasperation lacing his voice. I could tell that he had asked himself these questions many times before, but that thought was floating through his mind more now that his father has passed.

"No, love. He was trying to protect you. He probably thought that if you thought he was dead than we- riders that is, or more specifically me- wouldn't be able to use you to get to him because you don't know where he is. He said he became a slayer to protect you- maybe that way the king wouldn't kill you if you decided on the rider path like he had before you. He loved you, I think that all he wanted to do was make sure you were okay. You were always good enough." I reassured, and he nodded. I could practically see the cogs turning in his head. He nodded again, the smile that I missed so much returning to his face.

"You really think so?"

"I know so." I answered with a light peck to his lips, causing him to smile even wider.

"Thank you." He whispered, kissing me again and I laughed.

"It was my pleasure, now let's go enjoy the party yeah?" I answered, smiling widely. I laced our hands together, pulling him away from the wall and towards the party that was now in full swing. The sadness had left now that everyone had a drink, and everyone was now fully celebrating. People danced and drank and cheered, a band playing music right in the center of all the commotion. I smiled, happy that my family were happy- happy that they would get to stop mourning if only just for a bit. Hugs and kisses were shared, riders danced and dragons flew around in graceful patterns.