Chapter 8

Well hey! Another update today!

Dedication: @BriannaThornton6, @SmilingNiallxxx, @TheFaultInOurNarry_x {I used your question too}, and @Niallsxxwildgirl (your jokes were all humorously cheesy!)

Enjoy!

--

~Harry~

I didn’t know whether to act tough or cower away, now I had to really play the part but also be myself so people didn’t get suspicious. I just left yesterday and already I’m back, there will be a lot of questions and I was terrified that someone will bring up the real purpose to me leaving.

I decided to walk with my head down, trailing slightly behind Niall until we reached the area right by my house. I didn’t want to let him go anywhere alone, but I couldn’t bring him to my home- not with the weapons, and papers all over the place- there was a lot of information there that could give me away.

“You can head to the market; I need to stop somewhere real quick.” I mumbled, watching as he shot me a confused look before shrugging and nodding. I watched as he turned and began to walk away, his figure getting smaller as he walked further and further away- not once glancing back.

I sighed, seeing him far enough away from where he was that there wasn’t a way he could follow me where I was heading. I quickly turned left; glancing at Niall’s strong back before disappearing down the worn pathway. I jogged down the trail, dust kicking up behind me leaving somewhat of a trail. I glanced backwards once before taking a sharp right and jogged down that path. I passed fenced enclosures holding horses grazing peacefully on the tufts of grass and cattle lazing around in the sun. Farms and crops made up the majority of the rest of the open area, green as far as the eye could see.

Finally my house appeared in my line of sight, causing me to nervously look backwards one last time to make sure I wasn’t being followed before I ducked onto the little pathway leading up to my door. I quickly went through my door, shutting it tightly behind me. Walking up to a table void of almost everything, I dumped the contents of the bag onto it. Knives and blades clattered loudly on the surface; my small package of various medicines and poisons thumping harshly against the wood of the table, making a loud thump upon impact.

I dug through the clatter carefully, watchful of the sharp edges and blades that could slice my hand open easily. I took the blade I had earlier, the one Niall had seen, and placed it carefully back into the bag, along with the pouch of poison and medicine. You never know when it will come in useful- especially with the task at hand. I slipped in one more knife, and strapped a sword to my belt cursing because I had forgotten it here when I had left. I’m such a damned idiot. I slipped in my dad’s old journal, needing something of his to keep close. It was a dangerous move, but I needed it. I slipped in a pair of extra clothes, and a woolen blanket to keep me warm.

I ran through the list in my head again: clothes, knives, poison and meds, blanket, journal, food. Food how could I forget the food? I obviously was being a little cocky with the thought that I could kill the notorious dragon riding leader of the Crimson Clan that just so happened to have escaped every other hunter in under a day. I needed to get my head out of my damn ass. I shook my head, sadly cursing myself for everything. For seeing him as something other than a target, for getting close, for forgetting food, for almost getting caught out on a lie, for cuddling with him, and for not killing him when I had the chance- sadly the last one wasn’t as upsetting as it should have been. I was getting too attached already, I already see him as a person, and eventually I would have to carry out my task.

I sighed, shoving some dried meat and a loaf of bread into my bag, tying it securely before I threw it over my shoulder. I rushed to the door, opening it quickly, stepped out, and shut it even quicker once outside. I cautiously glanced around, but saw not a person in sight, and that in itself shocked me. People should be farming, doing their work; children should be laughing or helping their parents. Men should be welding or farming, doing the hard work to get their families fed while the women should be doing their sewing or cooking or cleaning- like things usually are. But it was just silence.