Chapter 16

Aye! Update anyone?

Dedication: @theblueinhiseyes, @mynarrycupcakes, @taryneckert, @abucola (my faves are strong and half a heart) & @Louis-Louis (because that’s funny because my best friend is the same way).

---

~Niall~

I just stared between the two before breaking out into a fit of laughter. They both glanced at me in utter confusion, wondering what the hell I found so funny.

“That’s a joke right?” I questioned, my laughter dying down as I looked between the two. Thomas smirked, and Harry looked down while his top teeth toyed with his bottom lip. The smile was wiped completely from my face as I realized everything he said was true. But it couldn’t be. I stepped back a step, and Harry reached out for me with pleading eyes.

No, he couldn’t have kept that from me. He would have killed me already, he’s had plenty of chances.

“If you don’t believe me, why don’t you read that journal Harry has in his bag? I mean, it couldn’t hurt right?” Thomas prompted, the smirk still on his face and mischief dancing in his brown eyes. I glanced at Harry, wanting to believe he wasn’t the slayer, wanting so badly to believe that he wasn’t who Thomas thought he was. That it was just a case of mistaken identity more than anything else. But I had to know, I had to know the truth.

“Give it to me Harry.” I commanded, hand outstretched and eyes begging him to tell me this was some horrible prank. He looked down sadly, reaching into his satchel and pulling out the leather bound journal, a small rope tying it closed with a cute little bow. I didn’t want to find out it was true, but I needed the truth.

He handed it to me, placing it gently in my hand with sad eyes, and then I knew what I would find. I decided to read it anyways. I slowly undid the neat bow, unwrapping the course rope that was wrapped around it several times keeping it closed. I took a deep breath before flipping it open to the first page. On the inside of the cover was scribbled: Property of D. Styles. I almost cried right there. With slightly trembling lips, I flipped to the next page, skimming it to see it was a page of dragons of clan leaders. In the center one was circled, next to it was written B. Horan-Bellator’ (the name of my father’s dragon) and a line going through it. I glanced at the very accurate drawing of the dragon my father had- a three headed Russian dragon. I swallowed thickly, skimming through the rest of the book until something caught my eye. Crimson Clan Hierarchy.

My father and mother’s names were at the top, right under my grandfather and grandmother’s. All four of their names had a line through them, and under them was Greg’s name. Next to it read ‘X, Non-rider’ and then my name was next. It was circled several times, and it looked almost like a target surrounding my name.

I stepped back, fear and betrayal filling me. Tears sprung to my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. My chest was heaving, and there was this heavy weight resting on my chest that made it difficult for me to breathe. My bottom lip trembled, heart racing and utter betrayal ran through me.

It explained everything really, the only reason Harry had hissed out a ‘mine’ was because he wanted the credit of killing the most important rider of our time- not to sound conceited in any way. I was hurt, hurt beyond belief, but I suppose it was a good thing I found out now before I became undeniably attached. I had to admit, I had gotten pretty close in the days I had known him. But it was all a lie wasn’t it, I didn’t know a thing about him- except for the fact he was an amazing actor.

“When were you planning on killing me then? Before or after you laughed at how pathetic I was for falling for your acting, for honestly believing you were a decent human being? And when are you going to turn in your mates for associating with me? You’re sick, a mindless killing monster that doesn’t feel a damn thing.” I hissed, with tears in my eyes, one falling down the curve of my cheek. He stared at me with wide, hurt, eyes and I almost scoffed at how he had the audacity to look hurt. His mouth opened and closed, like a fish out of water, but no words came out. No answers were given. His hand was still reaching out for me, and for a second it was just us- but then I remembered how the truth really came out.