Chapter 7

Ello, another update anyone?

Dedication: @BriannaThornton6, @Louis-Louis, @SmilingNiallxxx, @NarryDirectioner123, @smiley_miley_, and @taryneckert -I loved the song choices, (Lashton, yes I love Lashton…. It seemed that one was an easy one)

No one guessed the song, it’s Voodoo doll (it’s been on repeat for the past week)

Anyone heard ‘Ready to Run’ yet?

Without further ado….

---

~Harry~

I honestly couldn’t find the words to say. My mind was going mile a minute and I didn’t know what to do to make it stop spinning. I was more focused on the gentle kiss of the rider than the information he had just spilled, or the question he had just asked.

My skin burned, and it wasn’t from the rock he had thrown at me- but from the scorching kiss. I wanted to come up with some kind of sassy remark or come-back, when I looked at his face because of the cocky smirk that resided on it.

But soon everything kicked in, and my mind was back to thinking about the ‘dragon attacks’ we had in our town- and the loon on the corner who had spouted ‘nonsense’ about the dragon attacks being fake. It turned out he was next, and now- if what Niall had said was right- it all made a little more sense. I didn’t want to believe it, I wasn’t devoted to the king by any means but I didn’t think he would kill innocent people for something so stupid- a little bit of fear.

“Are you going to answer my question before Bane gets back? Or maybe before the sun rises? That would be good.” He mocked, smirking coyly.

“Bastard.” I muttered, but I knew he had heard me because of the loud boisterous laugh he let out. “I’m just escaping. All my life I’ve had to live up to expectations, to do everything perfectly- and I’m sick of it. I don’t want to be trapped in Cheshire anymore; I don’t want to be trapped at all.” I answered, figuring that the best way to lie was to stay relatively close to the truth. Yes, I did feel trapped, but it wasn’t why I had left.

“You and I are more alike then you may think.” He responded, chuckling bitterly.

“How, you can do whatever you want.” I questioned, curiosity hitting me hard again. The curiosity wasn’t for answers to questions about dragons and their riders that I would expose, it was more because I was curious as to how someone who has so much freedom and power could feel trapped. How this ‘fearless leader’ could really just be a big softy with a heart of gold. Curiosity killed the cock- my father’s favorite phrase. God, he hated those birds, they were worse than the damned roosters that cackled every morning at dawn.

“I’m this great leader. I don’t have freedom. I have to look over my clan, watch over the smaller clans and make sure they don’t end up destroying themselves. I’ve got people to feed, sick people to tend to, weapons to administer. Everyone looks to me for guidance. I can’t just run from all of that. I’m still just a kid that had to grow up when his father was killed. If I run, where will everyone else go? It’s not just the riders, there are towns, people that need me out here too. People depend on me and I take that very seriously, I have to take care of them before I take care of myself. I have to put on this act so they don’t see I’m just this scared little boy who’s scared of leading my family into a war that we may not win. And then what? Then I’ve killed people, let people down. It’s not that easy to run. It doesn’t take bravery to run; it takes bravery to stay- even when you think you’ll lose.” And in that moment I felt so many things. I felt sad, guilty for what I have to do, I felt admiration for how dedicated he was, and I felt confused at how he mentioned he wasn’t just fighting for the riders, but for the town’s folk too. I thought of Rueben, and how he had mentioned a ‘war’ coming up, and I thought of how he would be proud of Niall if he had won the war. And then the thought of how he would look at me if I had told him that I was the one to take that freedom away from him- if I told him that I was the one that killed Niall. I don’t think he would look at me the same. Or maybe, he would be proud of me too.