Chapter 41

Hello again lovely readers. Another update!

Answer: You’ll find out won’t you?

Dedication: @AndyMeCrazy, @SmilingNiallxxx, @CurlysIrish, and @taryneckert. (For the unique names)

Words: 2,466 words!

Enjoy!

{The end is near… bum bum bummmmmm}

Important Author’s Note at the end. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Harry~

The burning in my arm was honestly not something I was too concerned about when it happened. Yes, it burned, it hurt, but I thought it was just a battle scar- a wound that hadn’t healed- and I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it. It decided otherwise, and made itself known, and I was shocked to see a mark on my arm that hadn’t been there before.

It was the mark of a rider.

How, I didn’t know. Why, I didn’t know. At this point, everything I knew is no longer relevant. At least, that’s how I saw it at this exact moment as I- and the rest of the surviving members of the Crimson Clan- stared at my glowing forearm in pure shock. On it sat a radiating red dragon and black dragon, twisted together, a swirly ‘O’ sitting in between the pair of tails at the bottom. The pain had stopped, not even a dull burn anymore, but the mark still glowed and the egg still shook and I honestly had no idea what to do.

It was different now, everything was different. How the heck had I become a rider? Nothing made sense anymore it seemed. I remember Niall mentioning something about riders getting their egg between the ages of 8 and 12, riders grew up with their dragons. I was 20, why was I only getting my egg now, if it was mine and not some sick joke or misunderstanding. If it truly was mine, why did it take so long for me to get it, for it to find me?

Everyone’s eyes were still on me and it was quite unnerving. The whole situation was unnerving. Niall stood in front of me, eyes wide and filled with happiness. He was practically glowing, and it wasn’t even his egg, but he just looked so, so, happy that it was hard not to smile with him. I wasn’t exactly sure what I was feeling at this point. Whether it was excitement, nervousness, anxiousness, pride, I had no idea. I couldn’t pinpoint the feeling, couldn’t decide whether I was more nervous for this huge responsibility or if I was happy and honored to be a part of it. In a way I was both. But I was also terrified to be so close to something, to someone. Even with Niall, there are things I can keep hidden. My thoughts, my feelings, my fears but with a dragon, there’s a bond like no other. It is a part of me, and I am a part of it. I would know everything it feels, everything it thinks, everything it sees, and vice versa. I was terrified of that, terrified of that commitment, terrified that it wouldn’t like what it saw.

Everybody makes mistakes, does something that they regret in the past. I have a lot of those moments now, a lot of soul searching and looking back at the past and questioning why I had done what I had. I couldn’t forgive myself for some of the things I had done, I couldn’t see myself as a decent human being with everything I had done. If I couldn’t accept my flaws, if I couldn’t forgive myself for everything I had done how could I expect someone else, something else, to? How could I not fear the inevitable rejection, the inevitable disgust that this dragon will have for me when it sees my past, when it seems my flaws, when it sees I am weaker than I let on? How could I expect something- like this dragon- to accept me when I can’t accept myself? I couldn’t, and that was probably my greatest fear in this whole situation. The rejection, but even worse than that, the fear of disappointing everyone.