Two Girls, One Solo

Brooke

Maddie   Chloe   Mackenzie

Kendall   Nia   Melanie   Asia

Asia, Kenzie, and I are not in the group dance, but we all have solos against each other, and it scares me, they've both have beaten me in the past, and I'm honestly not sure that someone can beat Asia. Asia's solo is entitled 'Too Hot To Handle', Kenzie's entitled 'Old West', and mine is called 'Breathin'.

"Look, you have beaten Mackenzie before but I don't think you can beat Asia." Miss Abby says as soon as rehearsal starts, and suddenly I feel bad about myself, now my dance teacher doesn't believe in me, and once she says something like that everything goes downhill.

I start rehearsing and watching myself in the mirror, just faking to smile for my teacher. Miss Abby is just saying how I need to have Maddie's face, Asia's energy and Mackenzie's control. Now she's pressuring me over nothing, ever since Asia arrived I became the number two girl, if everyone thought that Asia was Kenzie's replacement, it looks like it is mine too.

•Three Days To Competition•

We get to the Dancer's Dena nd start getting ready with everyone else when Maddie decides to play her solo music, that turned out to be the same as Chloe's.

"Wait, why do we have the same song but different names?" Maddie asks.

"So that we wouldn't catch on." Christi answers.

"Same choreography, same song, same costume, same dance." Maddie says.

"Did you learn them the same day?" Kelly asks.

"Yeah." Maddie and Chloe answers, "Yes we did." 

"Girls! Come on in!"

Another day.

One Day To Competition

MIss Abby was going to show the group dance costumes on front of the camera, so I suddenly thought that it was going to be something like 'Electricity', but it was not, they were beautiful.

"Listen to me. How many people here know somebody that's died of cancer?" Miss Abby asks and everyone raises their hands, "Is that a painful thing? Is it a loss of dignity? Do you know what that means, girls? You're not in control of your body. Yes? You feel this big."

She starts crying.

"How many of you think you can lift your dad?" Miss Abby says as I hear crying behind me, and I start crying too, "I did that. I had to do that. My dad had a brain tumor. He had a seizure and collapsed on the bathroom floor. It's not pretty, and you're all very pretty. Right now, there are people living with the ribbon, there are people living with cancer everyday. And that's what you're showing. That's what the dance is about. Are you crying 'cause I'm sad? Who-who passed away?"

"Well, my dad-- when I wasn't born, but it was, like a long time ago-- my dad-- his dog Diablo died, it was just so hard for him." Asia says.

"His what?" Miss Abby asks, "His-his daughter?"

"No, his dog." Asia answers and we all start laughing.

"Dogs do get cancer, it's horrible I know, let's just wipe all the tears away." Miss Abby tells us, "Let's think positively. We win the dance, maybe we'll win the cure for cancer, all right? Let's go" 

These are really like my favorite types of moments at the studio, even if it hurts, cancer sucks.

•Competition Day•