Video Killed The ALDC Star

"And on top of the pyramid, we have Melanie."

Everyone claps.

"I gotta say this, I'm proud of the dancer you've become." Abby says and I hug her.

Melanie

Maddie     Kendall    Kalani

Nia      Mackenzie     JoJo

There were going to be four solos, two aired solos, Kendall's 'This Is Major' and JoJo's 'Straighten Up', and two unaired solos, Kenzie's 'Disco Dude' and my solo 'Need No Man'. My solo is a musical theater piece, and it's interesting. The solo isn't that old, it was the other dance that I could do at the 2014 Showcase besides the tap solo.

The group dance was called 'Platinum', and Kenzie wasn't going to be on it. 

"Let me get to the competition, the competition is Dance Kids USA, it is judges by kids."

All the moms start murmuring.

Sounds cool! Kids judging kids! Wait, do they know about this? Oh oh.

The Moms leave and we start with rehearsal. It was pretty good today, including the fact that I'm front and center on most of the routine. 

•Two Days To Competition•

"I'm starting to get tired of going back and forth between LA and Pittsburgh." Kenzie says as we stretch.

"Same." I add.

"Just a couple weeks more and the new studio will be ready, just wait." Maddie says.

"Yeah--"

"Melanie!"

"Gotta go." I say standing up.

I walk up to the middle of the room and start my solo.

I know, this isn't my typical kind of solo.

"Great, can you call Mackenzie in now?" Abby asks and I nod, "Your facials were amazing, and the technique was great, but we need to remember that the competition is judged by kids. Hopefully they like musical theater."

I laugh and call Kenzie.

Later, Kendall, Kenzie and I were watching JoJo as she did her solo, and it was so cool, but so hard and creepy at the same time.

"That dance could be a winning number." Kenzie says.

"If she doesn't fall and get hurt." I say, "I hope that doesn't happen."

"Yeah." Kenzie agrees, "But it looks fun!"

"And you're gonna dance on a wig." I tell her, "That's also fun."

Abby suddenly yells at JoJo and we all look over to her.

"Gianna, Kalani should be the one doing the solo." Abby tells Gianna and looks at JoJo, "Get your act together. You don't have your act together. You're just schlepping through things--"

I notice Kendall laughing and I clear my throat, making her look at me. I mouth the word 'stop'. She shrugs and we look back at Abby.

"--Now all these faces you're doing, you're not focusing on the three people judging. Your head's all over the place. This is a very important routine. It can be make it or break it."

And she went back to that old phrase.

They start working with the solo again and we watch JoJo.