No Solo For You

We all enter studio A, and I'm smiling way too hard. I'm just excited. 

"Congratulations ladies, you at undefeated eight times in a row. That's a big deal, not to burst your bubble, but it is  early in the season. A lot of dance studios don't have their competition numbers ready yet, and it's gonna get tougher and tougher and tougher as we move along." Abby says.

"And we're talking about accomplishments and I have an accomplishment, I published my first book, I have my book signing tomorrow. Everyone's invited. I told Abby and have her a personal invitation. Everyone here is invited." Holly says and we clap.

"Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh. Dance comes first. Right, Nia? Yes." Abby says and Nia nods.

Kinda funny the situation but, just go to pyramid so I can go!

"At the bottom of the pyramid, Melanie. Actually, your Mom told me that your appointment is today, so get going."

~~~

"You'll probably will still have to wait until next week, so that you can rest a bit more." Mom says as we arrive to the studio.

"I know, but I'm so excited, now I can go back to normal, except that the Hylands are not there anymore." I say and get off the car.

We both enter the studio and I go to the Dancer's Den, where Kalani is with Kendall, and she gasps when she sees me.

"No way, you can dance?!" Kalani asks and hugs me as Kendall laughs.

"Maybe next week, but I'm so excited!" I say and sit down.

"Melanie!" I hear Kenzie say and the door opens.

Kenzie literally jumps to hug me.

"You can dance now! Yay!" Nia says entering the room.

"I'm so excited for you!" Kendall says.

"Melanie." Abby enters the room and all of the girls move, "Do you think you can dance with us this weekend?"

I smile and look at her, I've been waiting for this moment for a long time.

"Of course!" I say and all the girls clap.

"Great, Kendall we're going to work on your solo " Abby says and leaves with Kendall.

All the girls hug me and laugh, it's so good to be back.

~~~

I had to get used to the new normal, the Hylands wouldn't be around anymore and we couldn't talk to them, Chloe is almost a stranger to us and Kalani is around all the time. I was going to be on the group dance this week, finally, but now I need to get it quickly, and show Abby that she can't replace me, I'm her winner on the category 8 and under and any other. 

We all get off the bus at the competition and there's a lot of people cheering for us there. We all start walking towards the dressing room but I hear someone call me. I turn around and see some girls.

"Can we take a picture?" One of them ask.

I look at the ALDC group as they continue walking away and look back at the girls.

"Sure!" I say and we start taking some pictures/selfies, and it kind of became a meet and greet. 

Everyone kept taking pictures and I was signing autographs, it feels so good to have people supporting you. I say goodbye and run to the dressing room.

"I think you need to realize that there's a lot of people on this world that want to get a job as a dancer, or a singer, or an entertainer, or be in a show."- I hear Abby say as I enter and I start stretching beside Kenzie. "Maddie, you're going up against Kendall. Kendall was outstanding at Nationals last year, you know, and then her mother had to go on vacation and screw up--"

She kept talking but I just ignored her, at least they could go on vacation and didn't spend almost all of it at the studio, like the rest of the year. We go see the solos and then go back to the dressing room. I start applying some makeup and we have the background music.

Another Fight- Abby Lee Miller ft. Kira

We run the whole dance twice and go backstage 

"We need to show Abby that we're not replaceable." Kendall says and we nod.

"Yup." Maddie says.

"Stay focused." Chloe says.

"All right, next up in our junior small group division, we have entry number 77. Welcome to the stage 'Riches to Rags."The announcer says and the music starts.

We all enter the stage and start dancing. Once the music is over, everyone cheers as we leave the stage. After a couple hours, when I thought we would go to awards, it turned out that there was an improv, Abby wanted all of us to do it, so guess who danced twice today. 

"At this time, I would like to welcome 36 incredible dancers to the stage who will be performing in our Masters of Dance Arts Improv Competition." The announcer says and we go onstage. "If you hear Miss Danielle say 'Number, fill in the blank here, thank you' that's your cue to exit and you're gonna exit that way."

He leaves the stage and the music starts. I start off with a tilt. I continue with stuff like a side aerial, some turns, just keeping it simple, on my opinion. Nia is then eliminated and she leaves the stage, after that Kenzie and Kendall are also eliminated and the song ends. 

"Can I please have the top six line up across the stage?" Miss Danielle asks and we all line up "If you hear your number, please join me at the front of the stage. Number 25. Number 8. And number 24."

Chloe, another girl, and I all step forward and the other three, Kalani, Maddie and Ava all leave the stage. The second round starts and we start dancing again. This time I just let loose, close my eyes, have fun and go with the music. 

"Beautiful job girls, let me see what the judges think. And your winner is number 24, Melanie!" Miss Danielle says and I look at her shocked, that goes to show that I have not regressed after the injury, at least on improv.

Everyone cheers and Miss Danielle gives me the award, $150 dollars, just for dancing, yay! Awards start right after that and we sit with the rest of the group. 

 With the solos, Kendall was ninth and Maddie was first, nothing new.

"Your top elite junior small group. In third place, with a score of 273.5 points, number 54, 'Land of Wonder'. In second place, with a score of 274.3 points number 51, 'Titanium'. In first place, with a score of 280.7 points, number 77, 'Riches To Rags'." Miss Danielle says and we all stand up cheering.