2016 ALDC Showcase: Dance To The Music

My last showcase ever. Gosh, stop saying it like that. It was the week of the 2016 ALDC Showcase. Everything felt weird. I had no idea where to begin, but I knew where it would end. That final curtain call, that final bow, That would be it for my ALDC career.

The first couple of days of rehearsals were pretty busy, but I had gotten used to it. We literally had about twenty numbers each, and a couple new ones, which were my favorites.

"Juniors, come on in." Gia says as we all walk inside, "We're starting off with 'Written In The Stars'."

The music starts and we start dancing.

This one was contemporary, and I had the lead in it. In my opinion, it was a more mature dance and much better choreography than the Dance Moms ones. After the rehearsal, we all went back to the Dancer's Den.

"Is the photoshoot today?" Summer asks.

"Wasn't it tomorrow?" Klara says.

"Pretty sure it was on Friday." Emma adds.

"Gosh!" I say and they all look at me, "No one knows?"

The three of them shake their heads.

"I'll go ask." Rylee says and runs out.

"So, how is your mom doing with this final week stuff?" Emma asks me.

"I don't even know where the heck she is." I answer, "She isn't in the studio, and she's out all day long."

"Finally." Klara comments.

"I know." I agree.

"And we're all switching to Dance Mechanics after this final performance." Summer says.

"I cannot believe we're finally leaving." Emma says, "Oh! And my mom will try to come to the showcase this week!"

"That's so cool!" Klara exclaims.

So I probably have said this before, but Emma's mom is always busy. Emma was a teenage pregnancy, so it's just the two of them. Margaret has two jobs, she's busy all day, and somehow she can still pay for Emma's dance stuff. Even though Emma has considered quitting, it'll be sad if she does, but it's for a really good reason.

"The last showcase she went to was the 2010 one, right?" I ask and she smiles.

"Yeah." Emma answers, "It's been a long time."

We had to go back to rehearsals after that, and we danced until night.

~~~    

The next dance, also a group dance is entitled 'Phoenix', and it is contemporary jazz. Just like the first one, it is an all girl group, and we get to dance with the pre-teens/teens, meaning that both Kenzie and Kendall are in the group dance. Maddie and Nia had a lot of different stuff, and they got to dance together a little more.

Most of the juniors were now playing Twister in studio D, against Abby's rules, but she didn't have to find out.

I mean, that's why we locked the door.

"Right hand on blue!" I announce, "Right hand on blue!"

I laugh as Kendall, Tim, Brooke, and Alex all struggle to move. Kenzie walks up besides me and looks at the roulette.

"You know that if you say left foot red Kendall would lose, right?" She whispers.

"I'm not making her lose on purpose, Kenz." I tell her.

"Why?"

"Maybe because I don't want to."

"Fine."

"Good."

"Great."

"Amazing."

"Incredible."

"Perfect."

"Next one!" Peter yells as he records the whole game.

I spin the roulette.

"Left foot red!" Kenzie yells on the top of her lungs.

I nudge her and show her the roulette.

"It is right foot green." I say.

"Yeah, and I changed it." Kenzie smiles.

"Ugh." I roll my eyes, "Whatever."

Kendall was the first to lose, followed by Brooke and Alex, letting Tim win.

"Okay, what's the next game, mister-I-can-twist-the-most?" Ceara asks as she walk up with Klarissa.

"Just for your information, we are NOT playing monopoly again." Klara says, "It already sucks."

We ended up playing Jenga, and boy was it a chaos. Remember when we were supposed to be quiet. Apparently everyone forgot about.

"It's gonna fall!"

"You're gonna lose!"

"Bye bye!"

"WHOOOOO!"

Liam carefully places another piece on top of the 'tower'.

"Mackenzie." I sing, "It's your turn, and I could make something happen."

She rolls her eyes as she leans forward. As she's about to take out a piece, there's a loud knock on the door. She quickly loses her focus, causing for the tower to fall.

"You lost!" Klarissa exclaims.

"Is someone getting the door?" Sarah asks.

Kendall and I get up and rush over to the door. Kendall opens it, just to reveal the teens and minis.

"What kind of combination is this?" Kendall asks.

"Photoshoot combination." Maddie answers, "You all have to get out of here."

"Well, that sucks." We hear Nina say from behind us.

"Game's over!" Nia exclaims as she walks inside, "Aw, I wanted to kick the tower."

We all laugh as we leave.

~~~

Today was the last day, the tech/dress rehearsal, and unlike last year, no one forgot about me.

"I'm gonna miss that stage." Peter comments as the five of us sit in the empty room, looking at the stage.

"Will you?" Klara asks, "I definitely will, but not Abby's screams or nasty comments."

"What solos are you guys performing?" Liam asks.

"I only have one, and it's lyrical." Emma answers.

"Wait, you guys got solos?" Peter asks, "I did not."

"I have two." I answer, "Hip-hop and contemporary."

"Polar opposites." Klara comments as we start our way backstage, "I have an acro solo."

"And I have a duet." Liam says, "With someone."

He looks at me and I smile.

"Do you guys imagine the final bow?" I ask, "That last time?"

"Weird to think that tomorrow will be that time." Emma sighs, "Then you're moving to LA and we'll all switch to Dance Mechanics."

Tomorrow's the last time.