Three Soloists, One Star

Chloe, Nia, Kendall, Kenzie, Scarlett, Sarah and I were the the dancers at pyramid. The rest of the select team was still gone, and Maddie was in LA this week. 

"Rise to the occasion to be the best, be the favorite. All right, let's get to the pyramid. On the bottom of the pyramid, Scarlett. You weren't here with us last week. Next, Maddie, only because she's not here today. And next we have Chloe. Do you want to get that leg up higher that you're flexible for. But you bounced back."

I just ignore her as she continues talking.

Melanie

Kendall  Mackenzie  Sarah

Nia Chloe  Maddie Scarlett

"We are traveling to Shenandoah Valley where we'll attend Powerhouse. Dance Competition. Now, the group routine, which Maddie is in, is a musical theater piece titled 'Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves'. A tramp in theatre means something else, like Charlie Chaplin was a tramp. This week, for the first time ever, I have 5 solos. I'm looking for the child who can be my Maddie when Maddie's not here. The first solo is going to Scarlett, it's a lyrical piece called 'Almost Home' and you're going head to head against Melanie, who will have a contemporary piece called 'Opportunity', this is your opportunity to show me that you can be my Maddie on the category eight and under."

The other solos went to Kendall, Chloe and Nia. Group dance rehearsal was good today, and it was actually the only thing that we did today.

Two Days To Competition•

"Turn, turn, stop. Scarlett don't look at me, look at yourself on the mirror." Abby tells Scarlett.

We were all in studio A and I had to watch Scarlett's solo rehearsal.

"Okay, Melanie, let's work with yours."

Scarlett goes to the back of the room and I stand in the middle.

"Your solo is called 'Opportunity'. You have the opportunity to go up against Scarlett and beat her, you have the opportunity to be the best one out there, are you going to live up to it, or will you choke?" 

After 20 minutes, we were just practicing the end.

"Front aerial, turn, turn, down to the floor and lay down. Great! Come over here."

I stand up and go stand in front of Abby as she smiles.

"You literally remember me completely of Maddie when she was your age, and that makes me excited." She says and I smile. 

We both leave and go to the Dancer's Den.

"James was looking for you earlier." Brooke (K) says as soon as we enter.

"I've been busy the whole time I've been here today." I tell her and sit down, "Did he say for what?"

"No, but I think that it was for something for the showcase." Brooke says.

"What is really the showcase?" Scarlett asks and Brooke and I look at each other.

"The showcase is an event where we show all of the stuff we've been working with throughout the year." I tell her, "They also sometimes give awards for different stuff, and we get to dance with all of our friends. I'm pretty excited."

"Sounds cool." Scarlett says.

"It isn't cool, it's epic!" Brooke adds, "But also really stressful."

"Group rehearsal for the show." I hear Kenzie say and I stand up.

"Right now?" I ask and she nods, "I just wanted a break."