61| City Lights

THEY DROVE AROUND the city under the moonlit sky in silence. Eniola stared out the streets, ignoring him. He kept glancing at her as if he wanted to say something, but couldn't get his words out. Obviously he didn't want to talk about whatever was on his mind, so she'd give him space.

She wondered who he had talked to that made him so angry. Could it be his father? Or a close relative? Perhaps a friend? Eniola realized that she knew little about him. The truth was that she knew nothing about his family, and she noticed that he avoided talking about them. 

Eniola could hear the distant sound of waves crashing on the shore. Closing her eyes, she leaned back and breathed in the cool salty air. The streetlights glowed yellow, illuminating the darkness of the road.

Dayo drove along behind a yellow taxi cab into an expensive neighborhood with fancy high-rise buildings. He brought the car to a stop in front of a large luxury apartment building. Etched on a signboard, was the name of the building — the sign read St. Ives Tower, Lekki. 

Light shone through the windows of each apartment complex, like a lighted Christmas tree. The high-rise glass building looked at least fifty floors high, towering high up towards the sky. It's glass surface shimmered with reflections of lights from the other buildings next to it.

Dayo turned off the engine, removed the key from its ignition and leaped out of the car. He strode around the car to open her door, but she beat him to it. Eniola stepped out of the car and tilted her head back to peer at the magnanimous structure that stood before her.

So many questions whirled through her mind. Firstly, what the hell they were doing in such a fancy neighborhood in Lekki? And what was he so upset about? The questions could wait, she said to herself. 

He pushed a button and waited as the top of his convertible slid down fluidly. He motioned for her to follow him, and walked towards the door. They walked through the double door entrance into the lobby, and he pushed the elevator button.

The door to the elevator opened and they stepped in. Dayo pushed the button for the thirty-first floor and the steel door slid close. As the elevator started to move upward, he jammed his hand in his pocket and glanced at her. 

Their eyes locked and her heart tore at the depth of pain in his eyes. She'd never seen him look so down before. They held each other's gaze without saying a word. "I'm sorry," he said, cutting through the thick silence between them. 

She opened her mouth, then closed it again, pressing her lips together. He leaned closer to her. "I'm sorry for snapping at you like that," he said.

Her tongue darted out to nervously lick her lips. "It's fine, Dayo," she said softly, and reached up to touch his cheek.

He closed his eyes and leaned into her touch. "Are...are you okay now?" she asked. Dayo forced a weak smile, "I'm fine," he said.

The elevator came to a halt and he pulled back. For a moment, she was afraid he was going to shut her out again. But then he smiled and laced her fingers with his, pulling her out of the elevator. 

They strode down the hallway before stopping in front of one of the doors. Dayo punched the code into the digital keypad and the door to the condominium swung open. 

Eniola stepped into the condo and the cool air from the air condition chilled her skin. She looked around the apartment with wonder in her eyes. She was in awe of the state - of - the - art décor and marble floors. 

Dayo trailed behind her as she explored her surroundings. Eniola walked over to the crispy-clear glass wall that displayed the magical view of downtown Lagos late at night.

A million city lights twinkled in the distance, forming a constellation of stars. Like an infinite sprinkling of star-dust. Everything looked smaller from up here. She watched the vehicles moving on the city below. It was beautiful, like a moving art.

Eniola moved away from the window, pacing the large expanse of the living area. She skimmed her fingertips over the soft beige surface of the wall. "This place is..." her voice trailed off as she paused in front of a photograph on the wall.

She absently trailed her hand down the photograph. "Who is she?" she breathed. Eniola barely heard the soft tap of his footsteps on the marble floor as he came up behind her. "My late mom," he whispered, his voice heavy with emotion.