82| Hook, Line and Sinker

Men are scum.

Ever so often Eniola comes upon a tweet or hears a girl quip the highly controversial phrase, "Men are scum." Of course, she had never adhered to the narrative, but with what she had witnessed today, she was starting to believe that men are, indeed, scum.

Her gaze shifted to Dayo, who was sitting on a pavement beside Abbey and Omah, a bottle of beer in his hand. Then she turned her attention back to the poor girl who had just caught her boyfriend kissing another girl at the back of the auditorium. Eniola knew the girl was struggling to hold back tears as she watched her now ex-boyfriend leave the concert with the girl he had cheated with.

"Men are scum," Lara declared, echoing Eniola's thoughts.

Eniola downed the remaining contents of her red cup and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "Fucking asshole. Seriously, he couldn't even muster up an ounce of remorse."

"You only show remorse when you regret what you did. This guy clearly doesn't. I swear I would have taken a swing at him if I was her," Kemi said.

"Look at her. She's absolutely stunning. No disrespect to the other girl, but she clearly doesn't even come close," Eniola remarked.

"What do these niggas want?" Lara asked. It was a question no one knew the answer to.

"No woman on earth has a fucking idea. I'm done with the whole lot of them," Eniola said through gritted teeth as she watched the girl walk away from the crowd that had formed during the altercation, tears glistening in her eyes.

Kemi rolled her eyes. "Says the girl with the perfect boyfriend. Men are scum, but your man isn't one of them."

Lara burst into laughter, and Eniola couldn't contain her laughter either. "He's perfect, isn't he?" she said, a touch of pride in her voice.

"God when?" Kemi quipped, dreamily.

"Is this artiste ever going to show up? It's past ten already nah," someone in the crowd grumbled.

Eniola glanced at her phone screen and confirmed that it was indeed past ten, making it three hours since they had been waiting for the artiste who was meant to perform. Frustration was beginning to ripple through the main auditorium of the university, which was packed with well over five hundred people.

"Cypher really shouldn't be doing this. His career hasn't even kick-started, and he's already showing up late for shows," someone else in the crowd grumbled.

Eniola herself was tired of waiting. The only reason anyone in the group had even shown up was because Jide was the director of socials of the student union and the sole member in charge of rallying students to attend the show.

"I'll be right back. I need to fetch my jacket from the car," Eniola said, excusing herself.

She navigated her way through the crowd, heading toward Dayo and the boys. As usual, they were talking about girls and that ticked her off.

"Dayo, the car keys," she said, her voice taut.

He stopped mid-sentence and stepped away from the pavement. "Babe, are you okay?" he asked, concern in his eyes.

"I'm fine."

"Come here," he commanded in a whisper, pulling her close until she was flush against his chest.

Eniola tried to resist him but she was powerless against his charm. He completely dissolved her defenses by planting a kiss on her forehead. "Should we leave?" he suggested.

Eniola shook her head against his chest. "Let's wait a bit longer."

"Should we go sit in the car?" he asked, his hand rubbing her bare back in her white halter dress.