73| When push comes to shove

A LOUD SHRIEKING noise from the speaker jolted her from her thoughts and back to the present. "All right, class. That will be all for today," Professor Ogundare announced, closing his lecture notes.

Eniola glanced down and saw that her notes had trailed off during an excruciatingly boring section on the biography of George Schuyler.

The class fell into a chaos of loud chatter and desk slamming - everyone scrambling to leave. "Have a nice day," he called over the ear-piercing noise.

Eniola gathered her books and made her way through the sea of students rushing off to their next class.

She pulled her phone out of her bag as she wedged her way through the torrent of people toward the double-door exit of the lecture hall.

Releasing a breath as she stepped into the much less crowded hallway, she dialed his number again.

Eniola held the phone to her ear, waiting through several rings, until Dayo's voicemail picked up.

Groaning, she hung up and dialed the number again, only to be met with the same response. "Please leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as I'm available."

This time she left a message. "Hey, it's me," she said, trying not to sound too desperate. "I've been trying to reach you all day. Hope everything is okay. Give me a call as soon as you can."

"Why wasn't he picking her calls?" He had missed most of their morning classes, which was so unlike him. She'd asked the boys about him in class but even they didn't know his whereabouts, and didn't seem to be worried. They swore that this wasn't the first time he'd gone off and assured her he'd be back soon.

Some tiny part of her kept thinking if he was deliberately avoiding her, but she shut the idea out. Perhaps she was going crazy for no reason and he was just caught up with something.

Or maybe not - maybe he's out with another girl. Try as she might, she couldn't stop the images of him with someone else from forming in her head and wished none of them were true.

" I love you too, babe," His words echoed in her head. To be honest, Eniola hadn't expected him to say those words. Nor had she imagined herself saying those three words that'd leave her completely vulnerable to him.

They'd simply slipped out in the heat of the moment.

What if he didn't feel the same way? And what if he had only said those words in order to please her?

She shook her head as if to shake the thoughts away and was heading to her next class, when someone called her name.

She halted in her steps and saw Onome walking towards her. Oh God, she wasn't in the mood to deal with her haughtiness right now.

Groaning, she held her books tightly to her chest and waited as she approached her. "Hey, is Dayo okay? I haven't seen him in class all day and he rarely misses class at this time of the semester," she said.

Eniola blinked at that, utterly taken aback. "Don't take this the wrong way, but why do you care?" she asked.

Onome adjusted the strap of the handbag on her shoulder. "Believe it or not, he's still my friend and I really care about him," she said.

"You sure have a nice way of showing it," she said, crossing her arms over her chest. Onome looked away, guilt written across her face.

Eniola shook her head and began walking away. "I know I haven't been the most supportive friend when it comes to your relationship with him. But, Eniola, I was only trying to protect you," she said, her voice low.

She released a breath, momentarily letting her guard. "I get that you were trying to look out for me, but I expected you to trust me enough to make my own choices."

"I'm really sorry," she said, holding out her hand, "I must have come off as being a bad friend when all I was trying to do was warn you about his playboy ways but I went about it the wrong way."

A half - smile curled her lips. "He has changed, you know."

Onome looked away and back at her and then smiled. "I know. I've known him long enough to know he's really into you."

Eniola did not know what to say, and an awkward silence followed. "We're going to be late for our next class. Let's go," Onome said.

She glanced around and groaned softly when she didn't see any sign of him around. "Umm, you go ahead, I'll catch up with you later," she said.

Onome misunderstood her reaction. "It's fine if you don't want to walk with me, I totally get it," she said, turning to leave.

"It's not that. It's just that I haven't heard from Dayo all day and want to look around if I can find him," she said, the worry in her voice evident.

"Oh, okay. Give me a call when you find him," she said and left. Eniola smiled to herself, glad they patched things up between them.

She pulled out her phone, ordering a ride through the Uber app. After waiting for almost fifteen minutes, the car arrived and she got in. "St. Ives tower," she said, fastening her seat belt with a click.

About forty-five minutes later, they arrived at St. Ives tower. Eniola got out of the black Camry, thanking the driver before shutting the door.

Tilting her head backwards, she just stared at the building for a few seconds, clearly intimidated by its size.

When she walked in, the overly made up receptionist at the lobby smiled warmly at her. "Good afternoon, how can I help you?" she offered.

Eniola crossed her arm on the cool marble desk. "I'm here to see Adedayo Bankole," she replied.

"Do you have a prior appointment?" she asked, after checking something on her desktop. She shook her head, "No, I don't."

The receptionist made a clicking sound with her tongue. "I'm sorry but I can't allow you in without an appointment. Perhaps you should call him."

"He's not picking up," she groaned, trying his number again. "I'm sorry, ma'am. But I can't help you."

"Can you put a call through to his intercom?" she asked. "Sure," the receptionist smiled, picking up her telephone.

She crossed her fingers as she prayed for him to pick up. "I don't think he's around, he's not picking up," she said, dropping the telephone back in its place .

A frown slowly creased her forehead. Where the hell was he?

Feels so good to be back😅 Been a while you guys. How have you all been?

It's been months since panty raid's last update but now that I'm back we're going to pick up where we left off.

So the previous chapter took us through a heartwarming and sweaty (iykyk😉) moment when our couple finally said those three words to each other.

What do you think of Onome's apology? Was it genuine enough?
Was it all out of concern for Eniola or mama was just being jealous?😂

If you were in Eniola's shoes, would you have forgiven such a friend? I personally won't cuz she really said some nasty shit to her.

Where could Dayo have gone? 🤔 I hope it's not what I'm thinking sha😏

Lemme know what y'all think in the comment section. More chapters coming up soon.

Stay tuned ❤