42| Friday Night Shenanigans

DAYO DIALED ENIOLA'S number again for what seemed like the hundredth time. Her number was unreachable. Groaning, he hit the disconnect button and dialed her number again.

"Come on, doll face, pick up the damn phone," he said as the phone rang this time. It rang five times before it went to voicemail. 

He leaned back against the driver's seat of his car and closed his eyes. Eniola wasn't at her hostel and none of the girls had heard from her since she came to get her stuffs earlier in the day. 

"Damn it!" he cursed under his breath. She was in trouble because of him, and he only wanted to know if she was okay.

The knock on the car window startled him from his jumbled thoughts. Dayo glanced up and saw Musa's dark face peering into the window.

He pressed a button on his door to roll down the window and a gust of cold air whooshed into the warm car.

"Oga Dayo, you no dey go inside?" Musa asked, his breath perfumed with a mixture of cheap gin and kolanut. 

Dayo slid out of the car and tossed him the keys. "Park the car inside the garage and have Dave check the brake pads tomorrow," he said, making his way inside the house.

He pushed his apartment door opened and grinned. The living room was clouded with weed smoke and rap music was blasting from the stereo.

A half-eaten box of medium sized domino's pizza lay open on the side table and crushed cans of trophy beer littered the tiled floor.

"Yo, bro!" Jide greeted, giving him a fist pound. He rounded the table and exchanged a bro's handshake with his other friends, Ike and Yomi.

"Terminator," Seyi hailed, his eyes glued to the TV screen. Omah and Seyi were engaged in a heated game on Xbox, and as usual Omah was winning. 

Abbey entered the room with a half-empty bottle of Hennessy cognac in his hand, a blunt dangling from his lips and his jeans sagging. "Banks, wetin dey shele?" he asked, setting the bottle on the wooden center table. 

"Wetin una dey celebrate?" he asked, picking a large chunk of suya meat from the wrap of old newspaper om the table.

"You sabi Prissy?" Abbey asked, passing him a blunt. Dayo took a long drag on the blunt and blew a cloud of smoke into the air.

He titled his head, trying to remember the girl. "Biz Admin? The one with the big boobs?" he asked.

Abbey nodded vigorously. "No, you didn't!" Dayo exclaimed, covering his mouth to keep him from laughing.

"Oh yeah, he did!" Yomi laughed. Prissy was the main bitch in her department and Abbey has been chasing her since their hundred level days. 

Abbey grinned. "I spent about four hundred on that bitch, getting her hair and nails done. But God, it was worth it," he said, licking his lips.

Dayo leaned across the table and clicked Abbey's glass with his own. "To getting laid," he cheered.

"And getting high," Omah added, raising his own glass. "How did you escape Ajayi's wrath?" Seyi suddenly asked. They all turned to him for an answer.

Dayo threw his head back and emptied his glass in one swallow. He clenched his teeth as the liquor burned down his throat. "If looks could kill, I'd be dead by now," he joked and they all burst out laughing.

"Man, you gotta be careful. Ajayi can do and undo, you know that," Ike warned. Dayo shook his head, "I don't give a damn about her father," he said.

Abbey shot him an odd look. "Dude, you're crazy," he said. Dayo grinned as an idea crept into his mind. "Today is Friday, right?" he asked.

Dayo didn't wait for an answer before starting towards the door. "I'm going to see her, even if I have to climb the fence into Ajayi's house," he said before dashing off.