37| Will you be my girl?

DAYO's HANDS TIGHTENED around her wrists. "Mind your own fucking business, Jamal," he said, his voice edged with annoyance.

 Eniola's eyes met his and he grinned ruefully. "Chill, man. I can't sit back and watch you manhandle such a pretty girl."

Dayo glared back at him, the look on his face murderous. Eniola looked between the two of them, and it was obvious to her that they both despised each other.

"Get into the car, Eniola." Dayo said, his gaze fixed on the other guy. The tension between them was thick enough to cut with a knife.

Eniola hissed. "Dayo, I'm not getting in that car with you," she said, trying to free her wrist from his tight grip.

"Don't be stupid. Get in the damn car and we'll talk," he said, clearly pissed off. Jamal moved threateningly close to him. "Hey, let her go. She said she's not going with you."

"Why don't you stay the fuck out of my business?" Dayo growled, his eyes burning with undisguised rage.

Jamal stepped closed until he was directly in front of him. "What if I don't?" he sneered, daring him.

Dayo balled his fists at his side. "Back the fuck off, Jamal." He moved closer to him till they were standing nose to nose.

"Dayo, let's just go," Eniola said, stepping between them before they started a fight. The security guy walked towards them to ask what was going on. "Wetin dey happen for here?" he asked, with an Igbo accent.

Eniola tugged at Dayo's arm. "Nothing, man," he said, holding up his hands and backed away from Jamal.

Jamal shifted his gaze to her and a slow grin spread on his lips. "I'll see you around, beautiful. And thanks for the drink," he said with a wink, and walked back into the club.

Dayo muttered a curse under his breath and unlocked his car. Eniola entered the car without arguing and turned her face to the window. He started the engine and drove slowly through the sparsely deserted streets of Lagos.

Houses and building went by in a distorted blur as the road stretch out to a busy expressway. Streetlamps and car lights illuminated the sheer darkness of the night.

He stopped at the traffic light by the bus - stop beside a garage, where a handful of Agbero (thugs) were fighting over some passengers.

Eniola turned away from the car window to face him. He was staring straight ahead at the road, his jaw twitching over and over again. 

She knew Dayo was hot tempered but she had never seen him so angry before. He swerved the car off the road and into a deserted street. 

Was she overreacting? Eniola didn't know what to believe, but deep down she knew he was telling the truth. And who was that girl anyway?

"Dayo?" she called softly, her voice cutting through the silence. Dayo slowed down and pulled the car into her hostel's parking area.

He pulled the gearshift into park and turned to her with his most charming smile. "Will you be my girlfriend?" he said, taking her off guard. 

This was the last thing she'd expected to hear ...