45| Daddy is leaving town!

ENIOLA STOOD IN front of the full-length mirror placed on the wall in front of her bed across the room. Smiling, she pulled her newly done red micro braids into a high ponytail and slipped an elastic band around it.

She dipped an old toothbrush inside the jar of her styling gel and swirled her edges in curved shapes around her braids. Eniola dabbed her favorite perfume behind her ears and stepped back to study her reflection in the mirror.

Eniola pulled a tube out of her makeup bag and tipped her head back as she pressed closer to the mirror to apply a coat of mascara.

She was about to apply another coat to her upper lashes when a loud honking sound made her blink, leaving little black dots on her eyelid.

"Fola! I'm coming, I'm coming," she yelled, reaching for the box of wet wipes to clean the mascara stain.

Fola honked a few more times just to be annoying, "Get down here. I'm going to be late for work!" he yelled back. With a quick glance in the mirror, Eniola grabbed her backpack and hurried down the stairs.

Fola had his hand through the car window and was pressing the horn repeatedly. He was leaning against the car, his long legs crossed at the ankles, and his hands in his pockets.

He was wearing a crisp white shirt tucked into dark blue suit trousers with white sneakers. Fola straightened when he saw her and grinned, looking remarkably handsome.

"You're so annoying," she said, as she got into the car. Her brother chuckled, got into the driver's seat and slid the key into the ignition.

"Baba, ejoor e si gate (Sir, please open the gate)," he said through the car's window. The gateman dropped the watering can in his hand and hurried to push the squeaking front gate open.

Fola jerked the gearshift into reverse and swiftly drove the car out of the compound. "Why are you so dressed up today?" he asked, as they jammed into the expressway to join the early Monday morning traffic.

Eniola glanced down at her outfit - black high waist jeans, ripped at the knees and a gray cropped hoodie paired with plain white sneakers.

"A girl can't look fine again, abi," she said, peering into the side view mirror to apply her strawberry flavored lip balm.

He laughed. The traffic was moving slowly and driver of the car in front of them attempted to squeeze his Sedan into their lane, almost causing both cars to collide. 

Fola pressed the horn frantically and rolled down his side window, "Alaye you dey mad oo, oloriburuku (an unfortunate fellow)," he yelled, cursing at the driver.

"Fola, leave him alone jare," Eniola urged, she knew how easily this could turn into a full-blown traffic fight.

Fola shrugged his shoulders and let out a long breath. Eniola settled back more comfortably in her seat and whistled for one of the street hawkers.

The hawkers moved idly along the road, pleased that the buses were no longer moving and they didn't have to run after a moving bus. One of them moved to their car with his goods perched on his shoulder.

Eniola picked two strawberry Mentos from his makeshift "kiosk" and checked her bag for change. "Fola, do you have change?" she asked, motioning for the hawker to wait.

"Check my wallet," he said. Eniola reached into the center console, grabbed his wallet and pulled out a crisp hundred naira note. "Want one?" she asked, and he nodded.

Fola opened his mouth and she popped one inside it. "Did dad tell you about his trip?" he asked, chewing the Mentos. Eniola sat up straight, her interest piqued. "What trip?"

"He's going to London with two other lecturers for a research, you didn't know?" he asked, surprised.

"When is he leaving?" she asked, trying to keep the excitement out of her voice. Eniola had to restrain herself from doing a little dance. This must be divine intervention, she grinned.

"He's leaving town on Friday," he said. Eniola smiled inwardly and turned her face to the side of the road. 

This is simply the best news ever!