8| Old flames & Race tracks

DAYO HAD DRIVEN to Ikoyi to visit his favorite tracks, The Chase Race Track. He loved the smell of the tracks, the speed and the rush of adrenaline that always seem to cure his numbness.

The tracks was what kept him sane.

Dayo yelled in victory as his orange turbo viper shot past the finish line. The crowd went crazy as the other race cars flashed across the finish line.

He'd won. Again.

Dayo climbed out of his car and was quickly surrounded by his friends and some sexy girls they brought to the tracks.

Omah returned with an unopened bottle of champagne, "I told you he was going to beat that motherfucker! Abi I no talk am? (Or didn't I say so?)," he shouted.

He popped the cork, causing the champagne to spill over. The girls giggled as he poured each of them a glass.

King, the owner of the racing tracks approached them. "I have to get you racing again so I can make some money off your ass,"he grinned.

"You could make a couple hundreds while I'm here. Anybody else wants to race me?" Dayo asked, taking a sip of champagne.

He knew nobody dared to challenge him unless they wanted to lose their money. He had never lost before.

There were no less than thirty cars lined up by the tracks, and he knew there would be at least one scapegoat among them.

"I'll race you. Right here. Right now. What's it gonna be?" Dayo would recognize that voice anywhere.

Jamal Omar was standing near his car holding the girl that he used to love. Screw that, still loved.

Dayo was frozen like a damn deer in headlights.

Jamal had his hands wrapped around the silky gown that accentuated her tiny waist. He could tell she wore nothing under the thin material, and rage nearly consumed him when he saw Jamal's hand brush the underside of her breasts.

"Hi, Dayo," Tina smiled. There was a time when that smile would stir something in his heart. But not anymore, he only felt rage.

His jaw clenched. "Stay the fuck out of my way, Jamal."

Jamal sneered. "Scared I'm going to kick your ass?"

Dayo moved threateningly closer to him, his nose flaring. "Dayo, chill out, man." Omah cautioned.

Dayo held his hand up. "500K. Winner takes it all."

King, who had been trying to get him to race again grinned at the display. He knew how much he was going to pool in if the race happened.

Jamal gave a lopsided grin. "This race is mine."

The crowed mounted into a frenzy when the race was announced. "Wipe that fucking grin off his face." Abbey said, against his ear.

Dayo nodded and slid into his car, trying so hard not to look back at Jamal kissing Tina. After their little makeup session, Jamal finally slipped into his red Ford.

Dayo stared straight ahead as the engines of the cars rumbled to life, but he could feel Jamal watching him.

Anna Wong, the sexy flag girl stepped on the tracks between both cars. From a short distance, it looked like her slightly slanted eyes were closed. She was provocatively dressed in a tight denim short and skimpy tank top.

Anna looked every inch the Chinese girl that she was, a remarkably flat face, thick black hair, cherry red lips and big breasts that screamed implants.

She stopped at the starting line with her legs wide open and raised the checkered flag.

Dayo gripped the steering wheel hard, feeling the car vibrate through the glossy leather. Anna lowered the flag, signaling the start of the race.

Dayo shot past her and closed the small gap between him and Jamal's Ford. Both cars raced side by side in a furious chase, trying to gain dominance on the track. The crowd's cheers kept him going, he won't let them down.

The image of Jamal groping Tina's breasts in the apartment that he had rented for her kept playing in his mind.

Tina folded her hands over her chest. "Look, I tried to tell you but you're always all over me. I don't love you anymore."

"Did you fuck him?" Silence "You've fucked him haven't you?" Dayo's voice quavered.

"What if I had sex with him, ehn? You don't own my body. I can decide whoever the fuck I want to sleep with."

Dayo crossed the finish line a full second ahead of Jamal's red Ford and hit his brakes.

Jamal slipped out of the car with his fists balled. He was doing a pretty good job at masking his anger, Dayo gave him that.

"Don't think that you've won so easily. The ram that backs up, if it does not concede, strength is what it has gone to bring. This is the money." Jamal snarled, handing him clean bundles of Nairas.

Irritation pricked Dayo. "You can keep your goddamn money, you know I don't need it."

Dayo was dragged away by Abbey and Omah who were congratulating him on his second win. Very funny right? He won the race, but he lost the girl.

He glanced at Tina and saw that she was sitting on the hood of Jamal's Mercedes.

Jamal walked over to her after talking to King. He leaned over between her legs, grabbed her ass, and kissed her. The hard part was that she kissed him back, and she damned well knew he was watching.

Damn you!

A fresh swell of rage rose deep inside of him. Dayo entered his Lexus while Abbey and Omah took the bigger Range. "Last one to the bar buys the drinks," Omah yelled in excitement.

The range rover sped down the street into the expressway. Dayo cursed under his breath.

He really needed to talk to someone, definitely not his friends though.

Dayo swerved the car in the opposite direction, heading straight to Palmers hall.