12| Sleep-overs

DAYO HAD JUST finished watching a match at Blue Ocean with his friends and was returning home. His car was running out of fuel and he had only stopped to fill his tank when he saw Eniola.

"Hey. Need a lift?" he asked.

Eniola hugged her soaked clothes tighter around her body. "No thank you."

Dayo swept his gaze over her body. She was standing in the rain shivering and her teeth clattering and she was still as stubborn as hell. 

He wouldn't get into his car if it was him too, considering how big of a jerk he had been to her yesterday. Dayo couldn't believe how angry she had made him. He had never lost control of his emotions, not even when he had found out that Tina was cheating on him. Annoyed? Definitely. But never angry.

Dayo groaned. "C'mon, Eniola. You are going to catch a cold, besides there are no buses here. So you don't really have a choice."

"I'm sure there are bikes around here somewhere. I'll manage, ehn," she said, turning around to leave.

Dayo moved the car and stopped right beside her. He began to press the horn repeatedly, creating a rhythm until she stopped.

"I don't bite you know, well unless you want me to," Dayo winked, as he watched her glaring at him.

Dayo knew she was thinking through her options, and he was very certain she was going to give in.

Eniola gritted her teeth, then took a long sigh. "OK, fine," she relented.

Dayo smiled broadly and leaned over to open the passenger's door for her.  She reluctantly entered the car, rubbing at her cold skin.

Thankfully his car had leather seats so he didn't have to worry about it getting wet. Grinning, Dayo exited the filling station and squeezed into the traffic since everybody seemed to be going in the same direction.

"Thank you," she mumbled, breaking the silence.

He steered the car into Bakare Hassan street, opting to take the shorter route. "No thanks necessary, doll face."

She chuckled. "I clearly remember telling you not to call me that." 

Dayo smiled and was just about to say something when her phone rang.  She looked down at her bag and dug through it till she found her phone.

Eniola answered the call on the second ring. "Babe, what's up?" she said, pressing her head against the car window.

She frowned. "Oh no! What am I going to do?" 

Dayo had his eyes on the road but was listening intently to what she was saying on the phone. Who could she be talking to?

"Is everything okay?" he asked, sounding concerned as she peeled the phone from her ear.

She wrapped her arms around her wet body, biting her bottom lip. "That was Omolara, she said the road's flooded. The one leading to my hostel."

"If you want to, you can stay at my place tonight," he said without missing a beat.

She briefly glanced at him, her brows slightly raised, and shook her head. "No, thank you - I'll manage."

Eniola stared at him as if trying to tell him that she'd rather sleep in the gutter than to spend the night at his place. Why the hell was she so uptight?

"I stay in a three bedroom apartment with the guys. You can have my room for the night and I'll just crash at Omah's. It's not like we're strangers."

She rolled her eyes. "We may not be strangers but we aren't the best of  friends either."

"Oh right, this is about last night. I guess I owe you an apology . " 

Eniola concentrated on the windscreen wiper sweeping over the misty window. "Maybe, I was also way out of line. I'm sorry," she apologized.

Dayo smiled in victory, knowing full well that she was going home with him. "I'm also sorry ." he said.

Eniola nodded and gave him a tight smile. "It's okay."

"We are just two streets away from my place, are you coming?" Dayo asked, stopping at a red light.

She took  a sharp intake of breath. "What choice do I have?"

                                                                                                              ***

Dayo stopped his car in front of a huge iron gate, waiting for the gateman to open the gate.

Musa opened the gate a crack to see who was there, and smiled when he saw that it was him. He propped an umbrella with his neck as he pushed the gate open.

He drove the car into the compound and killed the engine of the car. "Oga Dayo. Good evening oo." Musa greeted, closing the gates.

Dayo smiled back at him and stepped out of the car. Eniola stood awkwardly marveling at the grandeur of the building.

Dayo held his hand at the small of her back. "This way, doll face," he said, leading her out of the rain and into his apartment.

The air conditioner was on full blast despite the chill outside and Omah sat in front of the fifty-five inches flat screen TV playing X Box.

"Why is the damn air con on?" Dayo asked, dropping his car keys on the table and smacked Omah who hasn't noticed Eniola's presence.

Dayo took the air conditioner remote and flipped it off. "Eniola, come here." Omah's head perked up and he look shocked.

"Hi." Eniola smiled sheepishly. 

Omah extended his hands and Eniola gingerly placed her hand in his. He shook it lightly before raising it to his lips.

Eniola released a gasp. "I'm Omah," he whispered against her cold hand. Dayo smacked the back of his head, and he glared back at him. What are we, in the 90s?

Dayo looked around. "Where's Abbey, he neva return?" he asked.

Right on cue,  Abbey's room erupted with loud moans. "I'm so close baby, right there..harder..faster," a girl  screamed behind Abbey's door. Not that the closed door did any good with the noise.

Eniola's eyes widened as the screams grew louder. Oh shit!