41| Consequences

PROF. AJAYI DROPPED heavily into the swivel chair behind his desk and let out a sigh. Eniola stood there awkwardly twisting her hands, wishing she could be anywhere but here. 

The moment she saw her father, Eniola almost died of shock on the spot. She just wished the ground had open up and swallowed her whole.

Dayo was just as shocked, but he had quickly regained his composure and mumbled an incoherent greeting. Her father had leveled him with a hard glare and motioned for her to follow him.

During the short journey to his office, Eniola had the urge to run, but her legs felt like bags of water. There was no way she was getting out of this alive.

Her father cleared his throat, breaking into her  thoughts. Eniola felt glued to the chair, unable to move as she awaited her punishment.

"What did I tell you about that boy, ehn? Didn't I tell you that I don't want to see you with him again?" he demanded, his voice rising in anger.

Eniola lowered her head and said nothing. "I should have retired at my age but no, I work all day, to put food in your stomach, clothes on your back and to give you a good education. And this is how you repay me," he continued.

Eniola lowered her head in shame. "I'm sorry, sir," she mumbled. "Ah, don't be sorry rara o, it's my own fault. I've given you too much freedom." Prof. Ajayi said calmly.

Her father shook his head. "You have failed your mother. Is this how she trained you, Eniola?" he asked. "No, sir." Eniola whispered. 

"Look at the way that useless boy was squeezing you like an ashawo(slut) in front of the whole school. My own daughter, oju gba mi ti fun e (I'm ashamed of you)." Prof. Ajayi said.

"Dayo is a very good guy," she said quietly. Prof. Ajayi eyed her with disappointment clear in his eyes, "Pick up your phone and call your brother right now," he growled.

Eniola flinched at the anger in his voice and immediately did as she was told. Her hand shook as she dialed Folarin's number. 

Folarin picked up on the first ring. "Hey, sis. What's up?" he said. Eniola slightly raised her head to find her father glaring at her. 

"Fola, daddy wants to talk to you." Eniola said, biting down hard on her lower lip. She missed what he said as she handed the phone to her father.

He brought the phone to his ear and said, "Is Mukaila done with your mother's car?" She peered up at him and wondered why that mattered.

"Come and pick your sister in my office and take her to her hostel to collect her things." Prof. Ajayi said.

Eniola jerked up from the chair. "Daddy, with all due respect. I'm not a child anymore, I'm old enough to make my own decisions," she said, a slight quiver in her voice.

"Don't you dare talk to me like that, young lady," her father barked. "Henceforth, Folarin would drop you at school and also pick you up after your classes. And that's final!" he said authoritatively. 

Eniola didn't even realize she was crying until she tasted the saltiness of her tears as it ran across her lips. "Is that clear, Eniola?" he asked with finality. 

"Yes, sir," she replied.