91| The Heart Wants What It Wants

Heyyy guys 👋🏾  Before you delve into this chapter, I'd like to request a small favor.  I'd genuinely be grateful if each of you could share a review of your thoughts on the book thus far in the comments. Por Favor 🥺 (Like a little recommendation message of some sort). Your reviews are invaluable in promoting the book and attracting more readers. Xoxo 💋

xXx

Dayo led Maya to the patio, his hand securely wrapped around her waist, while his friends exchanged curious glances, undoubtedly wondering about her. He felt guilty for showing up on the trip with a stranger without informing them beforehand, but it quickly evaporated the instant his gaze collided with Eniola's.

He drew Maya closer to him, a grin forming on his face as Omah playfully smacked him on the arm. "Thought you'd bailed man."

"Changed my mind," he grinned, shaking Seyi's hand and pulling him into their usual one-armed hug.

Jide playfully batted his outstretched hand away and smirked, "I don sabi say you go still show."

He turned to the girls with a subdued smile. "Hi, girls," he greeted.

"Hi, Dayo," they reluctantly replied, their frosty glares aimed squarely at Maya. All responded to his greeting except Lara, who had Eniola's hand firmly clasped in hers.

His brown gaze was cold and steady as he finally glanced at her. The unshed tears swirling in her eyes hit him like a punch to the gut, and an overwhelming desire to gather her in his arms surged within him. But, he resisted the impulse. She wanted out and that was the end of the fucking matter.

Her gaze drifted from his, trailing down to the hand he had wrapped around Maya, a glint of hurt flickering in her eyes.

She looked tired. Her glassy eyes were rimmed with red and her eyes had dark circles under them, but goddammit to hell and back, she'd never looked more beautiful.

The wounded look in her eyes almost had him wrenching his arm from Maya's waist and pulling her close to him. But the image of her kissing Kam invaded his mind, sending waves of anger pulsating through his nerves.

He swallowed back the lump in his throat and tore his gaze from hers. "Guys, this is Maya," he introduced, shifting his focus back to the others.

He read the judgment in every one of their eyes as they looked at Maya. She flashed them her signature dimpled smile. "Nice to meet you, guys," she said with a little wave.

Seyi was the first to respond. "I'm Seyi. Welcome to McDonald's Gardens."

Jide and Omah offered a somewhat warm welcome in tow, but the girls didn't bother to conceal their disapproval of her presence.

"I'm really looking forward to some girl time with you girls. Red told me a lot about you guys on the way here," Maya said with a bright smile directed at the girls.

Dayo noticed Eniola visibly flinch when Maya referred to him by a nickname.

Lara's lips curled in distaste. "I'm afraid you have us at a disadvantage," Lara replied in an unusually sweet tone, "None of us knew about your existence until three minutes ago."

Maya let out a throaty chuckle. "Touché. I'll make sure to fix that by staying around long enough for all of you to get to know me better," she replied, casting a pointed glance specifically at Eniola.